Family/friends Ignorance

hollie

Over the last week of getting together with friends and family I don't know how many stupid comments I heard. I'm to the point if I don't laugh at the comments, I'll cry... So I've decided to laugh! Here's some of the things I had people say. Please add stupid comments you've heard recently... just for laughs...

My grandma said after hearing that my meds had to be changed yet again... "This thing might be with you for a while then!?!" She knows I've been struggling for years already. All I could respond with is that I will be living with it for the rest of my life!

After telling my uncle that my heart rate goes up to the 160's after climbing 1 flight of stairs he said, "That's not very high!" WHAT??

After stopping halfway up the stairs (out of breath, almost passing out - I'm sure white as a ghost) my friend said, "What's the matter? Did you forget something downstairs?"

Shopping with my sister, she walks like she's in a race (I can't keep up with her). She said, "I can't shop with you if you're going to walk so slow. I'll get nothing done!" I turned to her and said, "Well, I can't shop with you if you're going to walk so fast! I'll pass out!"

My 4 & 6 year old are the most understanding. My 4 year old saw me having a hard time and said, "Mommy, I know you're not feeling well. You should rest!" CUTE!!

My poor father bless his heart- makes it a point to buy everything with "no salt added" because I'm a heart patient. I've tried explaining to him that in my case I NEED the salt. He just doesn't get it it- but at least he tries. Whenever we go to visit at the holidays- my mom just rolls her eyes (at my father- she understands) at the "low sodium" chicken noodle soup and " sodium free" saltines- lol he buys to have on hand for me- lol. We have shown him material on dysautonomia, we have talked to him, and he is an intelligent man but for the life of him just does not "get it".

Carmen

My Mom, a very intelligaent women, repeatedly says to me when we are chatting "What's that thing we have again????" She and many family members also suffer from autonomic issues- some formally DXed, others not. Despite this, she can't remember ANYTHING about it. She says, "Julie, say all of those long names again for me." :blink: I take it all in stride. Her believing and wanting to know more is all that matters.

Hollie, it's driving me mad. What is on your little picture?

Julie

After stopping halfway up the stairs (out of breath, almost passing out - I'm sure white as a ghost) my friend said, "What's the matter? Did you forget something downstairs?"

Hollie, this is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! I'm sorry your family is so not understanding but this really made me chuckle.

I must forget things downstairs all the time.....

I swear no matter how many times you explain the illness to people some of them just don't get it!!! A few weeks ago I went home to NY to visit my family and I dealt with my Aunt (who by the way has a very sick little boy, and has been dealing with his illness since his birth) you would think out of everyone she would understand but no- my Mom mentioned that we should not make plans for the day after I flew because I would most likely need to sleep and rest and flying always makes me very symptomatic and my Aunt had the nerve to get made and said that it was just that no one wanted to come to her house!!! Instead they came to my Mom's house and guess what, I was feeling so sick that I slept all day and finally got up to say hello to everyone about an hour before they left. I guess the term "ignorance is bliss" would come into play here!!

Happy New Year to all and I wish everyone a happy and HEALTHY 2009!

-Staci

Guest tearose

I was shocked when someone who is suppose to be a humorist, emailed to a group of people, a you tube video of a person with no limbs managing their life. They titled their email "you will never whine again". You would think the sender would think about who was getting the email and what it means to those of us who are disabled without the severity of no limbs, and how many still struggle to manage life with less than catastrophic disability. Who are these people that think we don't know of our blessings? We are very able to do SOME things, but not the things "normal" people do. We can't manage a job, body temperature, digestion, heart rate... And, if we were to whine, aren't we allowed to complain sometime? Yes, we are!

I am holding on to compassion and requested the sender remove me from all future "motivational" mailings!!!

The unholy nerve of some people... I again must work to hold on to my compassion for their lack of true understanding.