Long Pauses In Heart Beats?

Tammy

Hi Everyone,

I have had weird heart rhythms for some years now, but everyone now and than I get different ones that I'm not accustom to. Late night after having a long day with the Holidays with family and I was sooooo tired, as I rolled over to one side to get comfy and than decided to switch to the other side to get comfy, I got 3 really hard beats which kind of surprised me as they felt like they were so hard thought my heart was going to pop out of my chest. Than no beats for about 4 seconds. And than this repeated a few times and than turned into tachycardia for a bit which set off an adrenaline rush and so on. I typically will get a quick beat (Premature beats) with pauses, but usually they aren't as long in duration. Can anyone relate and what is this? Is this a form of Bradycardia? Thanks :angry:

I get a very similar thing, especially when, like you describe, I lie on my side or switch from one side to another. In my case, it's nothing -- evidently even the long long pauses between heartbeats aren't a problem as long as the general rhythm is still a sinus rhythm (which it is for me). It IS really uncomfortable though, and often wakes me up or keeps me from falling asleep, which is bothersome because it happens more when I'm tired and I really need to sleep!

I find that sleeping in a more upright position -- several pillows under my head, or sleeping propped up on the couch -- can help a lot. I take a beta blocker too and that helps. I've also found that caffeine makes this particular symptom worse (which is counter-intuitive to me - I always thought the caffeine would speed things up and help with the long delays, but such is not the case) -- which again is inconvenient, since when I'm tired I could usually use a cup of coffee! Before the beta-blocker, I used to have half a glass (2 oz) of red wine when I had these symptoms and it always seemed to help, but I wonder if that was just placebo effect or something. Since alcohol sets off a lot of my other POTS symptoms, I don't drink any more.

Have you had a 24-hour holt monitor test? I had one that showed my strange rhythms, while pronounced, were harmless because they stayed sinus. It even caught some of my long delay beats at night. It made me feel a lot better to have a doctor look at this and say it's ok, since it feels so very wrong. If you haven't already had this test perhaps you should get it, just to make sure there's no "bad" rhythm problem.

Thanks Jump for ideas as to what this may be. I have had holter monitor tests but never have had this type of rhythm thing at the time. I too am on a Beta Blocker that does help the tachycardia (mostly) and sleep with a wedge under my pillow or in a recliner if my tachy gets back. It was the weird pause that had me concerned but sounds exactly like you also described. I feel much better, but will mention this to my EP at my next yearly appointment.