Getting Allergy Tested (skin Test): Anyone Had This And How Does It Affect Pots?

iheartcats

My doctor and I decided it'd be worth it to get an allergy skin-test to see if there are additional things I should avoid. I know I'm allergic to pollen/ragweed/some molds/dust mites (as are many people and you do what you can to avoid them) and I take Allegra. It seems to keep these somewhat under control.

I'm also suspected to be allergic to nuts as Cashews gave me severe hives.

I have to go off Allegra for 3 days though and I know I'll have to struggle with that...at least it's cold outside (getting this in January) so it's much better to get it over with now than in Spring. But my indoor allergies will be bad, I am sure!

Any advice on how to get through this test and can I expect my POTS to likely act up afterwards? Any big risks of having this test?

I also have eczema, but that's tied in with the whole allergy mess so I know that might flare up a bit.

Cat Lady,

I would take the MCAD article with you.

I would expect that you will get a POTS flare since skin testing will be a double stressor: it will cause a histamine reaction and it will be "painful" like the cold pressor test. Your symptoms should come back under control once you are back on your usual meds.

If you are taking a beta blocker, don't take it the day of the test!!!!!!!!!!!just in case you have a bad allergic reaction. It will interfere with an epi-pen injection.

They will have an antihistamine to give you after your test, probably zyrtek. You might get a steroid like prednisone to take for several days after if you have a big reaction (my ragweed prick test became the size of a playing card.)

Try not to scratch, it will itch like a fiend! :angry:

Good luck, and hug your cat for me. :(

Jennifer

Cat Lady,

I would take the MCAD article with you.

I would expect that you will get a POTS flare since skin testing will be a double stressor: it will cause a histamine reaction and it will be "painful" like the cold pressor test. Your symptoms should come back under control once you are back on your usual meds.

If you are taking a beta blocker, don't take it the day of the test!!!!!!!!!!!just in case you have a bad allergic reaction. It will interfere with an epi-pen injection.

They will have an antihistamine to give you after your test, probably zyrtek. You might get a steroid like prednisone to take for several days after if you have a big reaction (my ragweed prick test became the size of a playing card.)

Try not to scratch, it will itch like a fiend! :angry:

Good luck, and hug your cat for me. :(

Jennifer

Thanks for all the info - I feel a bit better about this now. I just want it overwith (and am secretly hoping I do not have a Gluten Allergy...!).

I haven't started Beta Blockers because, in part, of my allergies. I want to know I'm not allergic to nuts, first - at least not enough to send me into shock because the Epi wouldn't work on Blockers, I read. I carry one now because of the severe Cashew reaction I had.

I will hug kitty. I wish I could clone this kitty who doesn't flare me up.

Because of my dermatographism (hives from skin pressure), I can't get skin testing, as I'll get a welt from the needle alone, and they won't be able to tell what I'm reacting to, I've most recently had rast testing--allergy testing trhough a blood test. No risk to you at all. They see if some of your blood reacts to the presence of the allergens. I think it's more expensive, but they do it if they fear a severe reaction or if they think skin testing won't cut it.

AND, you don't have to go off of antihistamines for RAST testing. For some of us, going off of the meds can be dangerous. As a side note, I've done the inhalation and anaphylaxisis series of skin testing & tons of RAST testing and I'm allergic to NOTHING. :angry: All of this despite persistant systemic urticaria, throat swelling, chest tightness, constant runny nose, post nasal drip, etc. Not to mention several attacks of anaphylaxis. Hmmmm.

I had RAST testing done last summer and skin-prick testing done this winter. My overall IgE levels were quite low so they said I probably had some false-negative results on the RAST (I tested negative to birch pollen despite having severe reactions to the birch tree at home and also have birch-pollen oral allergy syndrome).

The skin prick testing was done in the winter when it was less problematic for me to come off my anti-histamines. I carried on taking my beta-blocker and singulair as normal. I do have dermographism but it is less trouble when I am on singulair. They tested me on one arm several times with just negative-control solution to check that I wouldn't come up in weals. When they used the plastic skin-prick tool I developed small weals but when they used a very fine needle the reaction was barely visible.

Once they had "read" the reactions 15 mins after doing the test I was allowed to take my usual anti-histamine tablet. I was quite itchy for the next day but no POTS flare problems.

Flop

I had RAST testing done last summer and skin-prick testing done this winter. My overall IgE levels were quite low so they said I probably had some false-negative results on the RAST (I tested negative to birch pollen despite having severe reactions to the birch tree at home and also have birch-pollen oral allergy syndrome).

The skin prick testing was done in the winter when it was less problematic for me to come off my anti-histamines. I carried on taking my beta-blocker and singulair as normal. I do have dermographism but it is less trouble when I am on singulair. They tested me on one arm several times with just negative-control solution to check that I wouldn't come up in weals. When they used the plastic skin-prick tool I developed small weals but when they used a very fine needle the reaction was barely visible.

Once they had "read" the reactions 15 mins after doing the test I was allowed to take my usual anti-histamine tablet. I was quite itchy for the next day but no POTS flare problems.

Flop

Hmmm...that's good, glad no real POTS flare up. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Just want it over and done. :)

Just wanted to add, make sure you have the doctor read the results of the tests. I have been allergy tested twice. I know I am allergic to certain things, I get anaphylaxis from smelling the artificial butter they put on the popcorn at the movie theaters. (Not anymore, they changed the formula, yay, I can go to the movies again!)

Anyway, when I was first tested, I was seen by a nurse who looked at the histamine positive control and compared it to all my other reactions and said I wasn't allergic to anything. This lead to a doctor diagnosing me with psychogenic asthma, as even though I was positive on the Methacholine challenge test, I wasn't allergic to anything so I must not have asthma. (GRR)

When I was tested again after switching doctors, I finally got a doctor to read the results. I am apparently allergic to the pollen of most things green and leafy, mold, cats, dogs and other furry things. The one thing I tested negative for was feathers. I refused to do the food susceptibility tests because chocolate was on it, and I couldn't handle being told that I can no longer have chocolate. :)

As for it affecting my POTS, I wasn't officially diagnosed then, but I had no problems with it, even though I was having POTS symptoms. I took Benadryl afterward because my arms itched SO bad.

Sara

I had no POTS issues with the testing, but I do have a permanent scar from the ragweed spot. I had reactions to the strangest thing... hog hair! Ha!!! Like I come in contact with that regularly. I did also have reactions to chicken, and dog dander.

Nina