Pace maker???

genie

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been on and seeing that lots has taken place. Very cool about the bracelets!! I am starting to have days of low heart rate in the 40's and the doc has mentioned a pace maker, I was wondering if any of you have one or have had this discussion.

Thanks!

My heart rate is all over the place. I have a heart rate that gets down to the high forties or even thirties when I'm sleeping and then of course it can also stay in the eighties all day. Today during the middle of the day it was 47. My cardiologist hasn't expressed concern. However, I am very petitite and fairly conditioned from exercising over the years, so my heart rate has always been on the low side. Personally I wouldn't get a pace maker unless it was absolutely necessary! :)

pacemakers can be very beneficial, but wouldn't get one unless my low rates were symptomatic. it's a really easy procedure to get one and they've really got them down to a fine art. but it is invasive and they do wear out, so batteries need to be changed periodically, as do the lead wires. if it helped i'd be all for it. i am starting to get some pretty big dips in my rate, so have discussed at what point i would get one with my doctor. the problem i guess, is you just never know whether somethings going to help or make things worse. everyone was convinced that if i had ablation for my tachycardia, i was going to be a new person. well i'm a new person alright....on disability. if i had to go back and do it over, i would have forced my cardiologist to call some autonomic facilities and talk to them. i guess that would be my recommendation to you. unless he's already an expert in pots. good luck! morgan

Genie, I have POTS and a pacemaker. But I did not plan on the pacer at all. Almost two years ago I went to the EP lab for testing, we found a tract that we thought could be ablated. Unfortunately, my AV node was severed and I am now pacemaker dependent. As a former cardiac nurse and RN of 20 years, I am continually amazed at the amount of people - coworkers included - who think that a pacemaker will cure POTS. The biggest benefit (besides keeping me alive, lol) is that my heart cannot go below 75 nor above 150. This seems to protect me from the most severest of swings in heart rate.

DO NOT get a pacer unless the low heart rate is giving you trouble. I am only 43 and estimate that I will need 4 - 6 battery changes in my lifetime. I have no idea about leads......maybe 1-2 in my lifetime?

Are YOU having difficulty with a rate in the 40's? Symptoms?

You seem to be checking your pulse a lot. That can be good, can be bad. Good if you are learning about your body's trends and responses, bad if it makes you too anxious.

There's lots of support and good advice on this board. Take care.

Dear Genie,

I guess my only suggestion and question is: Do you have trouble when your heart rate is that low? Mine is there most of the time(45-55)when I'm sitting around not doing so much. I'm comfortable and have no really bad symptoms. It goes up when I move around and quickly settles back down when I stop. I only feel uncomfortabe when I fall into the 30's, just feel "funny" and it rarely happens unless I'm going to sleep. My Cardio Doc says that if I'm ok he's ok. I do occasionally have a period when I go low and stay low, I just wiggle my feet, then legs and slowly sit up, it rises and I feel better. So I guess what I'm saying is, you have to make the best desicion based on your docs opinion and info. Just don't be rushed into it, I do know of a few people who have them and hate them with a passion.

Blackwolf