Weird smell to urine

Jill

Yes, urine that has a bad smell can be a symptom of infection. It can also be a sign of other things, such as diabetes. If it persists, you should see your doctor--and you should go sooner as opposed to later if you also have other urinary symptoms such as listed on

http://www.urologychannel.com/uti/symptoms.shtml

here's the list for adults:# Back pain

# Blood in the urine (hematuria)

# Cloudy urine

# Inability to urinate despite the urge

# Fever

# Frequent need to urinate

# Painful urination (dysuria)

# Malaise (general discomfort)

Certain foods can change to color and/or odor of urine--so unless you're eating these things daily, the issue shouldn't persist.

Nina

This is probably more than you *ever* wanted to know about urine, but here's a helpful link explaining what changes in color and odor can mean:

http://www.sparks.org/Library/HealthGuide/...asp?hwid=hw6580

:o Nina

I've never had this problem... I would definitely bring it up with your doctor to make sure everything is ok...it could always just be something in your diet or a supplement that you are taking. Good luck!!

Dear Jill

Don’t worry everyone's urine smells at some point. It is normally caused by the food you have been eating. You will notice certain medication causes discolouration and certain foods enhance the most interesting smells. I had my bladder pipes stretched last year. HURTS LIKE ****!! But it is so worth it. I use to get so many infections in my bladder and kidneys. You are only aloud one Bladder infection in your lifetime and 3 kidney infections. If you have more than this you have a problem. If you frequently urinate and have discomfort go and see your doctor. But I promise you, you will know when you have an infection. I usually get very high fevers, nausea, vomiting, pain and discomfort. I also pass out and feel terrible overall.

Please get this checked out, imaging not having the usage of your bladder in your old age because you were to scare to have it cheeked out. :o

Hi Ling,

just an example of how we are all different. I never get a fever with a bladder infection. I only get a back ache and frequent urination. I also don't often get a fever with a kidney infection--only if I've failed to get to the doctor when the back pain sticks around for more than a day or two do I get a temp higher than 99.

Nina