Cannot Sit Behind Computer Too Long-get Tachy

dino551

Hi-

I was just wondering if anyone has problems with sitting behind the computer for too long? I get symptomatic if I sit for more than 5-10 minutes. My chest starts too pound and I become dizzy. I have severe light sensitivity with everything. I have problems at resteraunts, grocery stores, movies, everywhere....! Anyone have any suggestion as to what I should do to help minimize these issues? I really don't want to walk around places with my sunglasses on...any meds out there that may help? I only take a beta blocker, but the Dr. wants me to start florinef?!? Scared to keep adding more drugs to the 3 or 4 I already take.

Thanks

Christine

I get more symptomatic often, from sitting behind the computer too long. I'm not sure it has so much to do with the computer, as with sitting in place, without moving much. I try to get up and walk around every so often, or at least flex my legs a few times, which sometimes helps.

I've been taking Florinef for a bit over a month, and so far, I love it - it's difficult to tell how much it's objectively helping with my blood pressure or heart rate, but at least I feel human, and I have more cognitive function than in years. I'm taking it in addition to 5 other daily meds, as well as 2 PRN meds, and I'm extremely sensitive to medication. I would give it a try, at least.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Light effects me similarly, the stronger the light, the worse the symptoms. Is there something in the control section of your computer menu where you can adjust the brightness? There usually is. You could put tinted glass over the screen.

Just out of curiosity, do you prefer to stay up late and have a hard time getting up in the morning? You might want to look into circadian rhythm disruptions, they can cause the hypothalamus to be either more or less responsive to light, causing your symptoms.

Having my feet up is essential if I'm going to be sitting for a long period of time. Yes, I look like I'm being rude, but it's worth it because I don't get as tachy/shaky. Sit with your legs folded under you or curled in a ball on the seat. This prevents the blood from pooling in my legs. It does make standing up a little strange, as I have to do it very slowly and let my legs down first so I don't "run out of blood" when I stand up. Always have your feet up on something. I tend to pull out a drawer and place them on that, or alternately on the actual desk top, with the chair reclined backward. (And yes, I have gotten comments about this, but my boss knows about my condition and realizes that I need to be sitting like that - having a laptop also helps)

I also will wear sunglasses indoors if I'm feeling overwhelmed by all the lights around me. Sometimes just closing my eyes helps, or laying down for a moment can cut the light sensitivity. If someone asks, I usually say I have migraines, and they tend to understand that. Usually for me, if I'm having light sensitivity, I've reached the point of no return and need to be horizontal.

Also, if I'm in line, I have to constantly be figiting and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. I like to think that if it keeps me vertical, it's worth it, even if I look a little strange. Sadly no medicine helps this.

Hope that helps.

Sara

I sit cross-legged when I'm at the computer. There are also computer programs that will reverse the contrast on the screen so everything is kind of white on black instead of black on white and thus much darker. If you use a mac with OSX, just hit Ctrl+Cmd+Opt+8 to toggle this on/off (you don't need to add a special program, it comes standard with the newer distributions of OSX). There are free opensource programs such as Nocturne that you can download for this as well that are more adjustable. http://docs.blacktree.com/nocturne/nocturne

For windows users, I don't have any experience with these kind of programs on windows so I can't really recommend anything in particular. But a google search turned up this: http://www.aquiladigital.us/darkadapted/download.html . . . It doesn't look as user-friendly as nocturne, but maybe if you just adjust the brightness down and don't mess with all the other jillion controls it will work.