Mild Ncs And Jungle Gyms

jessicaanne010

Hello, my daughter Shayna is only having mild NCS symtpoms right now (dizziness and chest pains). She is going to her dad's house for the weekend today and she mentioned that one of their neighbors has a jungle gym with a slide and all that, lots of climbing. Is this something that she should avoid? Or should she just be supervised by an adult while she's climbing on it?

Thanks!

Jessica

She also has to be in contact with herself and stop when she has symptoms.

Thank you.

This is what worries me most about her right now. If you ask her how she's feeling she'll say fine, but if you ask her has she been or is she dizzy then she say that she was and describe it. B) I keep reminding her that she needs to listen to her body and tell someone if she's feeling dizzy.

Like Ernie suggested, only with adult supervision. Maybe have an adult spot her------keep close in case she has a problem.

Sometimes it's hard to tell when your body is going to have a crash. Sometimes I can't tell until I'm already feeling near syncope. It's like a switch. Sometimes I feel fairly normal one minute, and feel terrible the next.

It's probably more difficult for a child to listen to their body, as they are not fully aware of different sensations and what they mean yet.

Maxine :0)

Hi,

having an adult to keep an eye on her is the best thing to do, restricting her activities too strictly may encourage her not to report all her symptoms for fear of missing out on the fun stuff. One idea would be to give her a bag of crisps/salty snack and a large glass of cold squash/water before she goes out to play. Drinking cold fluids temporarily raises blood pressure so will give her more time to enjoy herself before feeling dizzy.

Flop

having an adult to keep an eye on her is the best thing to do, restricting her activities too strictly may encourage her not to report all her symptoms for fear of missing out on the fun stuff. One idea would be to give her a bag of crisps/salty snack and a large glass of cold squash/water before she goes out to play. Drinking cold fluids temporarily raises blood pressure so will give her more time to enjoy herself before feeling dizzy.

I was concerned that too much restriction would either encourage her to not report all of her symptoms or give her more opportunity to resent her condition. :-/

Good tip on the cold drink, I had no idea!

Thanks!

Hi,

Flop

I know that when my mother is too strict with things, I just dont tell her. Also if she is annoyingly worrisome, I also dont. Though this maybe isnt the best thing to do, and I know that and try not to, it is how the human mind, or child/teenager mind, works. Just something to remember. B) It is very important to protect your daughter and make sure she is safe, that is more important, but the above is just something to be aware of and keep in the back of your mind.

I know that when my mother is too strict with things, I just dont tell her. Also if she is annoyingly worrisome, I also dont. Though this maybe isnt the best thing to do, and I know that and try not to, it is how the human mind, or child/teenager mind, works. Just something to remember. B) It is very important to protect your daughter and make sure she is safe, that is more important, but the above is just something to be aware of and keep in the back of your mind.

Thank you Mary, it is always good to be reminded how children/teenagers minds work. :-) I also have a 15 year old daughter with Type 1 Diabetes. I know there are times when she is resistent when I am worrying a lot. lol I try not to be the annoyingly worrisome mom, but that is my job, it's hard not to.