Flop In Hospital Too...must Be Going Around

MightyMouse

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I just heard from Flop's sister. Flop went into the OR about an hour ago. The doctors are staying late in order to do the surgery to put her hip back into place. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. She's been in a lot of pain with it out out of socket for 5 days now. We're hoping that all goes well and that her hip can be put back into place without any more problems.

Rachel

I have an update from Flop. She has really appreciated everyone's thoughts and prayers. Keep 'em coming. She needs them as she still has a lot of recovering to do.

Flop's hip is back in place, which is good news, but there have been some complications along the way. Because the hip was out of place for so long, Flop said that the doctors are "worried about something called avascular necrosis....This could cause the bone to die. They are planning on doing a CT angiogram of my hip and an MRI scan to look for damage. If all seems to be okay they will do serial MRI scans over the coming weeks to watch out for problems in the ball part of the hip. I think if caught early they can operate to try to prevent me needing the dreaded replacement joint."?

There was a problem in the OR while Flop's hip was being put back in place. If I understand correctly, because the hip was out of socket for so long there was a huge release of toxins and potassium from the muscles when they were pulled to get the hip back into socket. This put Flop into cardiac arrest and it took about an hour of resuscitation and chest compressions to keep enough oxygen going to her brain while they worked to get her out of ventricular fibrillation.

Flop is now in acute renal failure due to the massive amounts of toxins that were released into her blood. They are waiting to see if her kidneys will recover. She will have sessions of hemofiltration twice a day for the next day or two. Hopefully her kidneys will recover and begin to function properly again. If not, she'll be moved to a different hospital with a specialized renal unit.

Flop is understandably feeling incredibly sore now, but is very thankful to be alive. Keep her in your prayers as she still has a ways to go to recover. She is able to have her laptop now, so hopefully she will be able to check in here on DINET and see all of your messages and warm wishes.

My Dear Flop,

I am so shocked at what happened to you. I am so glad they were able to resuscitate you as I would not like to loose you. You are such a nice and friendly person with many more years to live.

I am angry that they put you through such a delicate situation by making you wait 5 days for the hip replacement.

I will be sending you my positive thoughts.

Keep fighting.

Hi Flop,

I don't even know what to say! I'm so sorry for everything you've been through. It's really unfortunate that they couldn't get your hip in sooner, and that you then had to suffer so many consequences. I'm not religious, but am sending extra good thoughts, hopes, and wishes your way for a swift and full recovery. Though we've never met in person, you've been so wonderful to so many people here, me included, that I consider you a good friend. Make sure they do right by you!!! Since I know that you are medically astute, if you have any doubts about what they're doing, please at least ask a family member to advocate for you for the best possible treatment! I know that when one feels like %$#!, it's hard to be assertive, but ...If one of us dinet people could be there, you can bet we'd be staying on top of your medical team!

Thinking of you,

Michele

Hi everyone, thank you for all the prayers, hugs, good wishes, squirrels, cookies (yum) etc. It is so uplifting to know that there are people all over the world who care about me.

I'm managing to get short periods of time on the internet (I'm using the ICU's laptop so can't have it for long each time). The nurses are lovely and as almost all ITU patients are asleep and ventilated they are enjoying chatting with me. I've got a crazy sense of humour and I'm winding them all up and helping them tease each other. It's nearly 2am but I've got the giggles so not ready to sleep yet (laughing hurts!).

hugs,

Flop

Hi Flop,

I'm glad you are keeping your sense of humor through all of this. :( Laughter is good medicine. It sounds like you're making the most of the situation and keeping your nurses on their toes! I'm glad you have nice nurses.

I'm praying for you as you recover. I hope you are feeling better soon and that there will be no more complications.

Very gentle hugs,

Rachel

Quick update - I've produced 20mls of urine, yay!!! I know that it sounds crazy to celebrate urine but it is a sign that there may be life yet in my kidneys.

Please keep hoping for me that they will recover, the combination of POTS and renal dialysis/transplant is something I really don't want to experience. (I've been told that if I need dialysis I'll be on a stict fluid restriction of about 750mls per day and no salt which with POTS sounds like a disaster combination).

Flop