Jobs And Pots

Dizzy Dame

Hi gang,

It's been probably a year since I posted on this forum. I hope all of my old friends are doing well, and hi to all the people I don't yet know. Over the past year since my lyme diagnosis my health improved for a time, then got much worse, and now is improving again. Unfortunatley I'm totally broke---living off government cheese and ramen---and am about to lose my apartment (my family that previously helped out with my expenses has cut me off financially). So lately have been questioning whether or not I can get a job of some kind, because it's basically a choice between working or going homeless. Literally.

The only problem is I still get brain fog if I feel sick (wich is about 90% of the time), and I'm unable to stand for more than 10 minutes at a time without vomiting and/or fainting. I basically need a job where I can work from my bed and don't have to think too hard about what I'm doing.

Has anyone here had experience with getting at-home jobs? More importantly, is there an orginization I might be able to talk to who can help me find a job that will accomidate my many many dissabilities? Any advice or funny stories apprieciated. By the way I'm living in the Columbus Ohio area, not sure if that means much.

Lots of love,

D.D.

I found a bunch of at-home receptionists and data-entry work on craigslist. But perhaps a temp agency will be able to do more looking for you---there has to be some telecommuting jobs in your area. I'm so sorry to hear about your hardship, I hope you find some relief.

DD, do you know how to apply for emergency assistance here in Cbus? Is there a reason you are ineligible for assistance through Job and Family Services? Food stamps would help get you a more varied diet. They might be able to help you keep your apartment until you find a job--they do have emergency money funds but I know it can be a real pain to access. (I had to apply once to get help to keep my heat on one month in an emergency situation.) Let me know if I can help you navigate that at all if you want to apply for help.

I don't know about jobs, but craigslist does sound like a good starting point. The Lantern (OSU student paper) may also have listings or the Dispatch, and both have their classifieds online. HUGS, Heather.

Hi Lauren,

I'm so sorry you're in such an awful position. That sounds so scary. You said that your family isn't helping you anymore, but is there a friend you could move in with? I don't want you to be kicked out onto the street.

I do know of a company that specifically hires people who are disabled but are able to work out of their homes. They are based in Colombus, OH, but their workers are all over the US. You do have to have a computer, phone, and internet access at your home for the job. I know it is a legitimate company because my cousin has done business with them in the past. I'll see if I can find their website and I'll send it to you in a pm.

Take care of yourself. I wish there was more I could do. Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing.

Hugs,

Rachel

You can try www.wahm.com

This is a website started by a work at home mom. It sometimes has listing of different leads, and companies that hire people from home. It can take some time to browse their archives plus the current threads on there but has some good info and a lot of helpful info and people on there. (I found a job that I work from home from that site, )

Good luck.

Bananas ~ I'm still trying to find the right site, but when I do I'll email the link to you. They hire disabled people, people who need to stay at home to care for a disabled family member, and others who need to work out of their homes for various reasons.

Laruen ~ have you checked with your local Independent Living Center? They may know of local resources and jobs that could help you. Independent Living Centers also hire disabled people. I don't know if they have jobs you could do from home, but it may be worth checking into.

I've also heard good things about the site mom4cem mentioned.

Rachel