Cardiac Rehab Update

mkoven

So I've just restarted cardiac rehab in D.C., where we're spending the year on sabbatical. I really like it. And I'm already much better than when I left the other rehab place. I'm their first and only dysautonomia patient, so I'm teaching them, but it's nice to try to exert myself in a controlled environment. weird thing-- I can handle the treadmill-- with eds, my joints prefer increasing the incline rather than the speed. But I want to faint as soon as I get on an exercise bike. No one can explain it, as you'd think that standing would be worse, but I guess the bike sends all the blood to my legs. when you walk you have to use your upper body for some support, I guess. But I have to be careful overdoing it. It just feels so good to actually exercise and break a real sweat-- and not a potsy sweat--a real exercise-induced sweat. I have to be careful afterwards, as my bp can drop. so I've had to stick around for about 20 minutes after to make sure my bp doesn't go too low. And here they do 36 sessions, so with the 9 I already had, this gives me 27-- so 9 weeks. I have to remember to bring lots of gatorade.

On my own I've been walking, and unlike Illinois where I was before, DC has hills aplenty. Oddly, I like the challenge. My bp seems to respond better to hills-- NO CLUE as to why. and I guess because my muscles in my rearend have to work, hills feel better on my sloppy hips. My bp has odd preferences. Before I got all flared up, I loved to bike, but for now, I'll work on the walking.

A long time ago, in a lifetime far far away...when I could actually exercise and not get all weird...

I used to lift weights and was very into martial arts. At the same time, I could not jog a lap, much less a mile without getting so tachycardic that I would grey out or see spots and have to stop. I would also walk the treadmill, I also had no issues with the incline, but the speed was not a variable. I could crank that thing up to the highest incline and go, go, go, but put it flat and up the speed and I was done! I walked like this for six months and NEVER had achieved any cardiac conditioning, I always had a high heart rate that did not come down, even after six months. No clue what it means now or meant then, but I sympathize with you! :huh: