My Gtt Results

Here are my lab results from my glucose tolerance test WITH insulin checks. My test ended up being 4 hours but they run anywhere from 2-5 hours, depending on what the doctor recoomends....

The reference range for insulin is 3.0-25.0 .... G stands for "glucose" ..... I stands for "insulin"

Fasting levels:

91 (G)

5.9(I)

Then I drank the sugar drink....

1/2 hour: 124 (G) / 28.6(I)..... HIGH INSULIN

1 hour: 142 (G) / 70.6(I)..........VERY HIGH INSULIN

2 hour: 114 (G) / 39.5 (I).......... HIGH INSULIN

3 hour: 68 (G) / 5.1 (I).............. LOW GLUCOSE

*NOTICE that the glucose levels are pretty normal, with 142 being slightly high and 68 being a bit low... but look at the insulin levels!!! That's what is out of control.. that's why I have the adrenal surges after I eat, then crash and everything goes low.. Highs and lows day and night!!! Hopefully the Avandia will begin to help with this problem :(

Guest Sandy Sims
Here are my lab results from my glucose tolerance test WITH insulin checks. My test ended up being 4 hours but they run anywhere from 2-5 hours, depending on what the doctor recoomends....

The reference range for insulin is 3.0-25.0 .... G stands for "glucose" ..... I stands for "insulin"

Fasting levels:

91 (G)

5.9(I)

Then I drank the sugar drink....

1/2 hour: 124 (G) / 28.6(I)..... HIGH INSULIN

1 hour: 142 (G) / 70.6(I)..........VERY HIGH INSULIN

2 hour: 114 (G) / 39.5 (I).......... HIGH INSULIN

3 hour: 68 (G) / 5.1 (I).............. LOW GLUCOSE

*NOTICE that the glucose levels are pretty normal, with 142 being slightly high and 68 being a bit low... but look at the insulin levels!!! That's what is out of control.. that's why I have the adrenal surges after I eat, then crash and everything goes low.. Highs and lows day and night!!! Hopefully the Avandia will begin to help with this problem :(

Your glucose levels are not going high here--not that mine did much more either--but I wonder how low they would've gone had the test run another hour.

This is pretty classic tho for pre-diabetes insulin resistance--blood sugar goes up--insulin goes WAY up to bring it down--and as a result blood sugar goes too low on the other side.

It's lows most likely that are making you sick tho--and maybe the fast drops from high to low. For sure I'd get on a whole grain carb diet ASAP and keep checking sugar levels when you are sick to be sure you're not too high or low.

FYI This is just a soda pop on an empty tummy reaction--a full meal likely does way more than this!!!

There's a common grocery store product called a "balance bar."

It's a very stable no spikes carb protein nutrition bar.

I keep one on my bedside table--and several in the car, my purse, and such. Eating one seems to REALLY help stabilize sugar levels for a late at night snack.

The chocolate brownie one even tastes good too!

Hope advantia works for you!

XOXOXOX

Sandy

I so loved those protein bars and protein powders. As a vegetarian I was using those to supplement my daily requirements. However, I started to notice that I was getting worse and worse the more I was adding these to my diet. And it wasn't until I went OFF all of the protein concentrates that I began to feel better. We are each different ... (i.e. I still buy them for my kids) ... but I read this site about the MSGMyth that talks about "hidden" sources of MSG in foods and found out that all of these protein sources have high levels of free glutamates. This isn't a problem is you are not glutamate sensative. Don't know if I really am or not ... but once I switched to a low glutamate diet I did much better all round.

I still do very balanced protein snacks ... but it means I've got to make my own! Which for me means toasting up some brazilnuts and blending them into butter and having these with home made whole grain spelt bread.

Good luck finding something that works for the way your body is working.

BTW my GTT spiked all the way up to 195 in the first hour. Another few points and I wouldn't have been PRE-diabetes classified at all.

I so loved those protein bars and protein powders. As a vegetarian I was using those to supplement my daily requirements. However, I started to notice that I was getting worse and worse the more I was adding these to my diet. And it wasn't until I went OFF all of the protein concentrates that I began to feel better. We are each different ... (i.e. I still buy them for my kids) ... but I read this site about the MSGMyth that talks about "hidden" sources of MSG in foods and found out that all of these protein sources have high levels of free glutamates. This isn't a problem is you are not glutamate sensative. Don't know if I really am or not ... but once I switched to a low glutamate diet I did much better all round.

I still do very balanced protein snacks ... but it means I've got to make my own! Which for me means toasting up some brazilnuts and blending them into butter and having these with home made whole grain spelt bread.

Good luck finding something that works for the way your body is working.

BTW my GTT spiked all the way up to 195 in the first hour. Another few points and I wouldn't have been PRE-diabetes classified at all.

what were your insulin levels? Wow that brazilnut/bread snack sounds good :(

The GTT I did was when I was in the hospital for 3 days last June. They were different folks taking blood from me all morning. So I don't think they did a systematic insulin each and every hour. I do have one that I see in my pages of lab results and it was like an 8 an hour after the glucose drink.

Both endos reading my labs believed that my blood glucose spike indicated a genetic predisposition coupled with the diet I eat that contained zero refined or concentrated sugars ... my body simply couldn't handle that load especially confined to a hospital bed.

If/when its time to repeat the test I will make sure we systematically check insulin levels and do it when I can sit up or walk around a bit.

~EM