Waking Up With A Real Slow Heartrate At Nights

carinara

Hello everybody, i have a question and would really appreciate your answers. I rarely get the flu, but somehow i got it yesterday. I got feverish, was freezing and my whole body hurted.

Before my last bad POTS Episode one and a half year ago (when i was bedridden and my body was way out of any kind of balance for a long time) I tried to figure out what caused this bad flare up and i noticed that i was sick with the flu a few weeks before it. Then i noticed that the same thing happened 4 years earlier as well. Maybe there isnt a connection with me getting a flu and my Body getting way out of balance again, but you all know how we try to figure out why, when and how questions.

Anyway everytime i have a flu (last time about 20 month ago). My HR stays higher then normal during the day (i know thats normal whilest having the flu). And then when the nighttime comes this happenes to me: I go to bed, freezing and tired, i take my POTS medicine (wich i take since years and i tolerate them well). I fall asleep and wake up a few hours later sweating, disorientated, with loud ear ringing, and bad visual disturbances and with a VERY LOW HEARTRATE.( This low HR is so very unusual for me, because normally my HR is high) I am on the edge of passing out whilest laying in my bed! This only happens to me whenever i have the flu. Does anybody have an explanation for this? Why does my HR slow down so much in during my sleep whilest having the flu? I normally deal with tachy and not with a low HR. I try to get my HR up in these situations by moving my arms around but thats not working well, and thats very unusal for me. Like i said, i normally deal with tachy and this slow HR and the symptoms with it scare me. After about 20 minutes my HR gets higher again and stays high all night again ! Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

carinara

I don't know that I have an explanation for you, but I also get episodes of unusually slow hr that feel pretty awful. For me they are frequently right before or at the start of my period, when I drop into the 40s and also get more pvcs and pacs. It's freaky. the larger issue is probably that the ans is dysregulated, and can inaapropriately slow or speed up- whether hr or bp. A call to your doc might be appropriate, if you're on beta blockers. Maybe you should change the dose if you're having stretches of brady? at least while sick? Midodrine slows my heart rate, and I can't increase beyond my current dose without getting too brady. I'm probably somewhat less tachycardic than a lot of people with pots. I feel best when my heart rate is in the mid-60s, and I start feeling off when the resting hr is in the 80s. Mido often drops it to the 50s, but when I go below 58 or so, it feels really strange, and not in a good way.

Hey (new here, thought I'd chime in b/c I've had similar experience), I know what you're going through with the low HR overnight. A couple weeks ago I went into the ED with a bad bout of tachycardia and chest pains that the on call cardiologist was concerned about and told me to go to hospital. I got admitted and ended up being there for about a week, over the course of which I was pretty severely laid out. Not a flu, though, just a particularly bad run of POTS symptoms. At any rate, over night both my HR and BP were going really low--enough that the nurses and PCAs kept re-checking their cuff to make sure it wasn't broken LOL. It felt AWFUL. I agree that I'm comfortable in the 60s or 70s. When it starts to ramp up and go tachy I get that tightness in my chest, and now more recently actual pain. And when it drops into the 50s or 40s it's a strange feeling, but more difficult to describe. I feel like I'm sort of suffocating and I feel extremely weak--it's definitely unpleasant to say the least. Incidentally, when I'm in a bad spell like that, I've found that I don't need to stand up to set off the tachycardia . . . sometimes merely sitting up will shoot it up to 100 or more.

I've been instructed by the hospital, my own cardiologist, and the pharmacy to skip my dose of beta-blocker if my systolic is under 90 or my HR is under 60 because the beta-blocker can further lower them. Do others take beta-blockers regardless of how low their BP or HR is at the time? Does it drop your BP/HR? (I take metoprolol; don't know if different ones don't have that same effect?)