Extended Release Paxil/ssris

yogini

I've been on Paxil 20mg for the past 6 months or so with good success. My biggest complaint is that when I wake up, it has worn off and it takes a while for it to hit my system after I take my morning pill. I have a lot of trouble sleeping these days too, and I was wondering whether it was because the Paxil has worn off. I was thinking of asking my doctor for a small dose to take at night to help with this...either that or try a time released version if there is one..do any of you know whether there is? And if you tried it, did you find that it helped?

It is usually advised that Paxil is taken in the morning as one of the side-effects is insomnia and if taken later in the day this can be a problem with sleeping at night.

I'vew found mention of Paroxetine CR in wikipedia and on other websites. It isn't listed in the UK prescribing formulary but it may be available. I suggest you discuss this with your doctor.

flop

Thanks, Flop. I was hoping you would answer. Is there anyone out there that takes Paxil CR for POTS? I've been having serious sleep problems over the past month. I take my Paxil in the am. I sometimes wake up feeling wired until the Paxil takes effect. Since regular Paxil is working, I would be hesitant to try the CR unless I knew it worked better for POTS and/or would not keep me more awake.

I'm pretty sure Paxil is extended release already, that's why my doc put me on it. Or maybe it's because the half-life is longer. Anti-anxieties like Xanax on the other hand, are not, and don't last long at all. You might need to up the dose if the regular 25 mg isn't enough to get rid of your anxiety all day. 25 mg didn't do anything for me.

Melissa and Rita - you are both correct! When used for anxiety paxil does have a much smoother profile in controlling anxiety episodes on a day by day and weekly basis (it takes about 8 weeks to work properly although most people notice benefits much sooner). Meds like Xanax work quickly to relieve an acute symptom but (unlike paxil) have no effect to reduce future symptoms.

I believe that paxil has good quality study data showing that it reduces symptoms of POTS (no-one knows how it works but its benefit for POTS is not in treating us all for depression).

Certainly from a sleep point of view the effects of the tablets seem to wear off in about 8 hours. When I used to work nights I had to switch my tablets from early morning to the evening so that I could sleep during the daytime.

Flop