Natural Remedies

nantynannie

I had great success with compression hose (actually thigh highs) when I was younger. They still help a bit -- about 5-10 beats/minute less increase on standing with the hose. But you have to get the really high compression ones like 30 mg. I also have abdominal compression and gloves that help at times as well.

I also did much better with lots of Gatorade ... but after two years I ended up with systemic candida from the imbalance the sugar in the Gatorade caused. Now I just salt load my food.

Good luck finding something that works for you.

~EM

Hi,

I think most of what I have seen that people use "natural remedy" wise is the licorice root for BP. Also, salt and fluid loading (as dr.recommended). Also, working to keep your electrolytes balanced, some have low potassium, some low sodium... it is different for everyone and consult a dr. because too much potassium etc. can cause damage if taken in excess.

Also, as mentioned compression stockings and other lifestyle changes (like getting up slower...) are also helpful. Also, for many diet is important, for many certain foods trigger worse symptoms, so sometimes it is helpful to look at what may not be agreeing with your body (i.e. wheat, dairy, sugar).

Also, multivitamins, and I also have found some of the most help from taking a magnesium supplement for migraines, energy etc...

You can also do a search of back posts to see what people have found that helps (because some may not post much anymore).

Make sure to consult with your dr. before making any med changes or starting supplements (some can do more harm than good).

Hope you find something that works for you!

It's a double-edged sword, but exercise can help. I've started cardiac rehab, and if done in a slow, progressively adding-more-over-time manner, it has helped. Not sure of the mechanism. At the time, I think it helps with blood return. I think it might also help your body to produce or process its own constricting hormones/neurotransmittters better. But, it can make things worse, if overdone, or if you don't listen to your body. Right now walking is okay for me. But biking is not, because all the blood pools in my legs, even though I'm seated, so you have to find what works. I know a lot of people like water, because it reduces the effect of gravity. I'm hardly cured, but doing much better than I was over the summer. The only difference is that I slightly increased florinef (.05-.075), and started cardiac rehab.

I also have one pair of super-duper compression stockins--40-50 that help on really bad days. They're just a bear to put on, uncomfortable, and when I take them off at night, instant crash!

It's a double-edged sword, but exercise can help. I've started cardiac rehab, and if done in a slow, progressively adding-more-over-time manner, it has helped. Not sure of the mechanism. At the time, I think it helps with blood return. I think it might also help your body to produce or process its own constricting hormones/neurotransmittters better. But, it can make things worse, if overdone, or if you don't listen to your body. Right now walking is okay for me. But biking is not, because all the blood pools in my legs, even though I'm seated, so you have to find what works. I know a lot of people like water, because it reduces the effect of gravity. I'm hardly cured, but doing much better than I was over the summer. The only difference is that I slightly increased florinef (.05-.075), and started cardiac rehab.

I also have one pair of super-duper compression stockins--40-50 that help on really bad days. They're just a bear to put on, uncomfortable, and when I take them off at night, instant crash!

You are so right about the exercise. As exhausting as it is, it's worth it. My neuro says the legs have to be kept in good shape, as much muscle as possible to help with blood return. I know if I am standing, I flex my calf muscles to give me a few more minutes.

I am definately going to get the compression hose out again. It has been soooo hot here in California. I need to check and see how heavy they are, I think 30, but not sure. I am going to use them now...Thanks!

sorry my bad- your right - exercise is VITAL. My last crash was in 2005 and since then I exercised every day pretty much - and believe me its hard at the start. But at the start of this year i could run sometimes and this increased my pots stamina considerably. Then ofcourse, i crashed again and now i cant even stand. Just gotta get bcak on the saddle :blink: