Pain Meds

cardiactec

Hi,

I have to have another GI surgery in a few weeks and I dont do well with pain meds that are morphine derivatives - specifically anything under the names vicodin, oxycodone, percocet, hydrocodone, codeine, dilaudid, etc. does anyone know of any narcotic pain meds that are not part of the vicodin/codone/codeine meds/derivatives ?

I need something for the pain that this surgery causes, but i cannot take any of the above mentioned and unfortunately just regular pain meds like aleve or tylenol doesnt/didn't help.

how about ultram? it's never been a useful part of my arsenol but i know it's very useful for some. it's not considered a narcotic but it's got a lot more "oomph" than tylenol or motrin. along those lines another option might be toradol? i'm not sure about its use in post-op pain but i know it does wonders for any type of inflammatory pain....sort of like motrin times 10. it's done wonders for me for inflammatory issues; for specific types of pain it actually works better for me than theoretically stronger opiate meds. it's generally considered quite safe in limited doses but has very stringent guidelines re: how many doses/ days it can be used for.

hope this helps. i'm definitely keeping you in my thoughts & prayers as you hang in there through the next - hopefully last! - surgery.

:D melissa