Why Does The Wind Get Knocked Out Of Me?

Jordan5815

Ok, It may or may not have been caught on ekg's i believe i got one atleast but shows no abnormalities.

I can be sitting, standing, walking, anything and i feel like someone just punches me in my chest and the wind get's knocked out of me literally. It also feels like a funky heart beat or maybe a skipped beat but I always get the wind knocked out of me, not shortness of breath I mean no breath.

Any explanations? anyone else have the same problem?

A person who reads ekg's told me it could be my compensatory system but i kind of doubt that. I've searched google for it and have not found a thing about that. notice these things do not last it happens and it's over.

So any guesses, or people with some great knowledge can answer this. Because I don't know what the **** it is, could it be something with lungs, heart, etc. I'm confuzzled.

John,

I have what the cardiologist says is a "hyperdynamic" heart, it squeezes too hard, the cardiologist was not concerned (I'm not sure if that says anything about him or my condition.) I don't know which article it was, but I remember one theory about the chest pain that some POTS patients feel is the heart actually squeezes too hard and most of the blood is pushed out of the heart, the pain is the refilling. Have you had a heart ultrasound? If that is what is going on, you are having the wind knocked out of you.

My heart throws PACs and PVCs. (pre- atrial or ventricle complexes where somewhere other then the sa-node fires causing an extra beat.) Sometimes, especially if i throw a PVC, it feels as though my heart skipped a beat and I have to "catch" my breath. My doc said what was happening was that the heart fired an extra time, but then had to re-fill, and the beat following tends to feel stronger, or something like that... my heart isn't actually skipping a beat but adding an extra one. They are benign and almost everyone throws them at some point in their lives. They are not consistent and do not always show up on ekg's. (or if they do... it is considered normal- so the ekg will come back with a normal reading- ) I throw them often and feel them most when I am resting (I have had them for years so I tend not to pay attention when busy or moving about...) Sometimes i will throw a lot in an hour, sometimes only one....

I don't know what a hydrodynamic heart is... but my doc always says i have a hyper-sensitive heart???? who knows.... however, i have had an echo-cardio gram and it was found to be normal.... but they saw all kinds of pvc's and pac's on it.... firewatcher- have you had an echo and they saw this??? interesting...

the person you mentioned who "reads ekgs" and mentioned what you stated as "compensatory system", the only thing i can think of that the person was talking about or trying to say would be your CONDUCTION system - meaning the way your heart works electrically, the "wiring" of your heart. he/she was probably thinking that maybe you have something more than POTS, as pots isnt an electrical problem with the heart. maybe they were thinking arrhythmia of some sort.

many many many things can cause the sensation you describe, anything from autonomic dysfunction/neuropathy, to lung issues, to arrhythmias/heart issues, to anxiety.

have you followed up with your doc about this? maybe a chest x-ray and/or event monitor at the time this sensation occurs would be a good idea, since you mention a sensation of your heart doing things, skips, etc.

good luck, hope you feel better.

cardiactec.

I just finished my 24 hr Holter yesterday, no results yet. But when I get that missed place beat it does tend to stop my breathing and then I over compensate with a quick deep breath. By then that BOOM beat hits (the one from the extra blood as a result of the pre-mature preceding beat) and I get a nasty wave of heat and dizzy.

I doubt the Holter will show anything 'treatable' .... it'll likely just re-affirm I have POTS and these extra beats (and new hot flushing) are just part of the POTS and PERIMENAPAUSE package. ;-)

Good luck finding some answers from your health team

~EM

the person you mentioned who "reads ekgs" and mentioned what you stated as "compensatory system", the only thing i can think of that the person was talking about or trying to say would be your CONDUCTION system - meaning the way your heart works electrically, the "wiring" of your heart. he/she was probably thinking that maybe you have something more than POTS, as pots isnt an electrical problem with the heart. maybe they were thinking arrhythmia of some sort.

many many many things can cause the sensation you describe, anything from autonomic dysfunction/neuropathy, to lung issues, to arrhythmias/heart issues, to anxiety.

have you followed up with your doc about this? maybe a chest x-ray and/or event monitor at the time this sensation occurs would be a good idea, since you mention a sensation of your heart doing things, skips, etc.

good luck, hope you feel better.

cardiactec.

it's already been told to me it's not a arrhythmia it's my supposes "compensatory" system. But it literally makes me exhale when this happens i don't mean all my breath disappears it is like literally getting hit in the chest the wind gets knocked out of you. it happens and all of the air goes bye bye because i exhale it all. I can't even control it.

had chest xrays tons of those, echo, stress test, ekg's, 24 hr holter monitors, some event monitor that stayed on for 1 month and if my heart went over 150 it would start recording 1 minute prior and the minute it is going on, i could also press the button which i have done and it has recorded these things but nothing abnormal showed up just sinus tach.

i have similar issues as you do, such as the very strong aortic pulse and sudden episodes of not being able to fully breathe.

i recently moved from the west coast to the east. immediately upon hitting the humidity of the east, i could not breathe. typically my breathing issues are sudden and transient, but on the east coast, i could not breathe on humid and/or cloudy rainy days. the pulse in my abdomen was so strong my whole body rocked with it, and i constantly felt like i was suffocating. my heart raced and palpitated constantly, and i had really really intense head pressure.

i somehow think this is all related to my breathing problems. just don't know how. i'm more inclined to think i could have blood vessel issues or gas exchange dysfunction.

do your problems worsen on humid/rainy days?

i have similar issues as you do, such as the very strong aortic pulse and sudden episodes of not being able to fully breathe.

i recently moved from the west coast to the east. immediately upon hitting the humidity of the east, i could not breathe. typically my breathing issues are sudden and transient, but on the east coast, i could not breathe on humid and/or cloudy rainy days. the pulse in my abdomen was so strong my whole body rocked with it, and i constantly felt like i was suffocating. my heart raced and palpitated constantly, and i had really really intense head pressure.

i somehow think this is all related to my breathing problems. just don't know how. i'm more inclined to think i could have blood vessel issues or gas exchange dysfunction.

do your problems worsen on humid/rainy days?

I honestly have no idea, I'm in houston right now it's usually pretty humid.....

• 10 years later...

Ive been having very similar like symptoms but i dont get the actual wind knocked out of me more of the after sensation of pain i dont have any clue what it is and if someone knows id really appreciate some help. Theyre usually not bad but theyve been getting worse and my doctor doesnt know where to start