Numbness

sheba

I woke about 5:00 am to use the bathroom an realize that my lips were really numb. The good thing was that it was back to normal when I came to bed but it did scare me because this is something new for me. Sometimes I do have this in my hands but I sleep on my arms I know that's strange but that's just how I sleep. I guess my question is does anyone else get this?

This happens to my feet every now and again. It just feels like the blood isn't circulating through there enough and makes it tingly/numb-like.

• 4 weeks later...

I get it in my hands and arms pretty often but once in a while, either after fainting or when I am really symptamatic and come close to fainting it happens to my mouth and face. I have mentioned it to the doctors and they said its just the lack of blood flow. They didn't seem to concerned about it so now its more of a nussance than anything else!

I use to get that numb feeling around my lips all the time starting last spring when I was crashing. Took me months to figure out it was LOW SUGAR. Numbness around the lips is one of the signs of hypoglycimia and if you had it at 5:00 a.m. it could be that your blood sugar was dipping. Mine would recover on its own (i.e. without me eating) so I never put the two together. Until the adreniline surges started to come (which is your body's way of getting glucose from storage) and then I was just a mess. Now with my blood sugar in check, I no longer get that numb feeling in my face.

The skin and muscle on my butt and legs sometimes fall asleep while sitting. Sometimes weird things fall asleep even when I feel like I wasn't putting pressure on it.

There's a distinct difference in feeling when things are actually numbed and when things are asleep (think as if someone administered anesthetic to the area). Hopefully you can tell the difference. If you don't think you can, see a neurologist to give you a checkup to make sure you aren't developing nerve damage anywhere. If the skin was just temporarily asleep and now it's back to normal, I don't think it's much to worry about because it's not permanent. You may have a blood flow problem though so if it happens too often, get it checked out to make sure it's not a clot. That's kind of an odd place to get a clot though...I'm not sure I'd worry unless you're a diabetic or have blood issues. You should probably make sure you don't have those, but I'm sure you're working on that anyway.

I've had my face fall asleep before when I slept on my hand. Do you think you were sleeping on your hand on some part of your head or neck? That could definitely cause it.