I'm Freakin' A Little

hollie

So... I signed up to walk 60 miles in three days in the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk. I know... DUMB! But I do have some reasoning behind it. My mom was dx with breast cancer last summer. I signed up in January. I had symptoms for a while before i signed up that were getting worse, but I thought I just over-did it at Christmas. But I majorly crashed in Feb. Now I can't walk a block without at least a little challange. I have walked as far as two miles while training for the walk. However, that 2 miles took me about an hour and a half and I was dead for two days after. I'm on a team of 11 people and they are all in good shape and will have little difficulty doing this walk. I'm going to walk what I can, but I don't want to over-do it. I want to be able to at least finish out the weekend without going home - or the hospital. I have a feeling I'll be sitting by myself more of the weekend than anything.

I guess I'm looking for suggestions from you guys. I know... the usual... drink, stockings, rest... I need help with my teamates. I don't know how to get it across to my team that I CAN'T do that much or even walk as fast as they will want to. They all know I'm sick, but like everyone else, they don't get it - AT ALL! I don't want to look lazy, but I don't want to whine all weekend.

?????

Hollie

Don't be ashamed of not going - just be firm and say you are too ill. 60 miles is a long way and there will be time pressure to complete the distance as well as the physical exertion of walking. I think it would be easier to give it a miss rather than try to do some of the walk. I appreciate it's for charity, but presumably if you have any sponsorship, people would still donate even if you couldn't do the walk.

Perhaps an alternative is to drive to a strategic point to give the others drinks/food midway?

Well... I survived! I did not walk much at all, but I survived! My team of ten completely abandoned me. They wouldn't even walk ten feet with me. I saw what kind of people they really are. They treated me as if I was faking - of course! Anyway, I'm proud of what I did accomplish. It was MUCH more than I thought I would ever do! I am paying for it today, but it was worth it.

Hollie

Good for you!!! Remember that what you were able to walk was a big accomplishment for you, just as I'm sure 60 miles was a big accomplishment to your healthier friends.

I was in a similar situation this year, where I signed up for a bike-a-thon charity event months in advance, and by the time it came up I knew I wasn't well enough to bike 25 miles. The people who were sponsoring me were really understanding and gave me the money they'd promised anyway, but a lot of my co-workers who were also doing the bike-a-thon were much less sympathetic. They teased me about being a "weakling" and stuff; but I just tried to laugh it off, because I think they truly don't understand that I'm dealing with an actual illness. It seemed easier to deal with it by just turning it into a big joke (even though this is my daily reality, and not all that funny most of the time!!)

Don't let your friends' lack of sympathy get to you. You did a great thing for a great cause, and that was the whole point!!!

jump