Low Progesterone?

delphicdragon

I went to Gyno last week to complain about my periods. I also spot beforehand, for about a week, before I get my period. She of course, wants me on birth control pills, and is *shocked* that I can't tolerate many of them. :) She felt that I have low progesterone.

Now, I've been researching that condition and wondering if the low progesterone is causing a lot of my symptoms. According the the internet (of course the most reliable source of information out there j/k) and many of the symptoms of POTS are also symptoms of low progesterone. These included anxiety and palpitations, foggy thinking, etc.

Anyone else diagnosed with low progesterone? If so, what did you do? I'm leary to go on BCPs as most make me really sick, though they do tend to make me feel better regarding the POTS; though the gastro side-effects make staying on them impossible.

Has anyone tried natural progesterone supplementation or just progesterone pills during the second half of the cycle?

Thanks!

Sara

Sara,

Good luck and let me know! I'm coming back with low everything (Estrogen, Testosterone, LH and FsH) my OB/GYN says it's all just "low normal," while three endocrinologists are saying "barely adequate." No one can tell me if the POTS thing causes the low hormones or the low hormones cause the POTS thing. My two oldest (and hopefully most experienced) Endos say that the two are NOT related, but I don't think anyone knows at all. How low was your progesterone?

Jennifer

I was apparently tested about a year ago and she won't give me the numbers and refuses to test me again! She also didn't tell me I had low progesterone until now- a year later. Gah! According to her, unless I'm trying to conceive (which I'm not) it doesn't matter because my cycles are regular. Just go on the BCP! :) I don't want to go on the pill to regulate my hormones unless I need to. I think it's time I find a new gyno and have the tests run again.

Sara

Sara,

THOSE RECORDS ARE YOURS!!!!!!!! How dare she keep them from you. GGGGgggrrrrrrrrrr, the arrogance of these know-it-all, holier-than-thou, I've got a huge amount of debt to pay for my education so I won't bother to learn anymore because I already know everything....Nnnaahhhhhrrrgggggg! Don't look at the heart-rate monitor, don't look at the heart-rate monitor, breathe.......

O.K., I'm O.K. now,

Call that sweet lady's office tomorrow and ask to speak to medical records, then ask them to fax you the test results from that test. Then call a woman you know and start looking for a new OB/GYN, or go to an Endocrinologist. I think you'd get better results from an Endo, they will know about the interactions and what does what and when.

Those of us without the super-secret doctor decoder rings need to stick together. I support you!

Jennifer

I've also heard that low progesterone can produce odd symptoms. I'm probably older than you (41), and have started spotting before. My gyne thinks I'm in pre-perimenopause (my fsh and estradiol are normal), when progesterone can get out of wack if you have cycles where you don't ovulate-- more common as you get older.

I've also never tolerated bcps, but am considering a progestin only one--micronor. Still hesitant though.

For a while a more "alternative" doc had me on "natural" progesterone cream. Hard to say if it helped. I think most traditional docs put premenopausal women on bcps to regulate cycles, not progesterone supplements. But I'm not sure about that.

I have to say that the second half of my cycle is no fun at all, and some are worse than others. Most of my ans flares are triggered premenstrually and I've really only had ans symptoms in the past several years.

If I could tolerate bcps, I think I would go on them. I do worry about the effect on breast tissue (family history) and risk of stroke for people with migraine w/ aura.

Sara

Low progesterone isn't a problem I have had (or not that I know of!)

I have a contraceptive implant in my arm which releases synthetic progesterone. It hasn't made any difference to my POTS symptoms in general (though fewer periods does help). I don't know about the side effects of the pill regarding your gastro complaints, but maybe an implant could be a solution?

Hi Sara,

Because of irregular cycles, my gyno also decided that I had low progesterone. Like you, I refuse to take BCP's. She insisted that I take progesterone only for 10 days before my cycle. Huge mistake for me. They made me feel awful. After taking a pill, I was so lightheaded and groggy, I couldn't even make my way to the bathroom. My BP was 70/40 and I felt horrible. As soon as I stopped the progesterone, I was back to normal. I figured that irregular cycles were easier to deal with than the side effects of the progesterone.

I have used progesterone cream for 10 days before my cycle. I tub a small amount on the inside of my arm before going to bed. It relaxes me, makes me feel sleepy- but does not cause my BP to plummet. It also helped to regulate my cycles. I've bought it over the internet and at health food stores.

Best of luck-

Julie

I've been tested for hormone levels and they were all normal, including progesterone. I don't have anxiety or problems with my period (except heavy flow). I do get brain fog. So maybe your period problems are the progesterone, brain fog is POTS in general (insufficient blood flow to the brain)? Helps to compare cases I guess.

Hi Sara, Like you I have never been able to tolerate BCP, and my gyno always seems to recommend them... About a year ago I did discover that I have low progesterone, and since them have used a compounded cream. The cream is great, it has regulated my period, and I don't have any side effects from it. To get this I had to see an alternative doctor however, I'm not sure my gyno would have ever gone this route... On the other hand, I can't say I've noticed a specific difference in my pots symptoms, other than the fact that it did seem to help me fall asleep at night. But hey, I'll take any improvement I can get :-) Oh, I also take chaste tree berry supplements, as that is supposed to encourage your body to produce progesterone.

good luck,

Pam

I AM LIVID RIGHT NOW!

So, I called my Gyno for the results of the tests she did (yeasts, etc) and decided to ask the question about what my progesterone levels were in 2006. SHE NEVER DID A PROGESTERONE LEVEL ON ME!

She blatantly lied to me about what the levels were a year ago - AS NO TEST HAD BEEN DONE. Now I know why she didn't want me to have a copy of the records. BECAUSE THERE WEREN'T ANY! Seriously ***?

I'm going to find another doctor. This is freakin' ludicrous!

Anyone know of a good gyno around Hartford, CT? Specifically one that knows how to deal with people who have a whole host of medical problems and who HATE being LIED to?

Sara

Wow, and they wonder why so many people are disgusted with the medical society.

I had my level tested a few times and depending on who you want to believe, mine was low. It was the low end of normal. I finally went to see a doctor of osteopath(can prescribe meds but works with the body as a whole and naturally if possible). I tried the cream but found no difference. I do take a compounded troche(under the tongue) of natural progesterone. I take it from day 12 till about day 26. It helped to get my levels in the middle normal ran

Hi Flop,

Sorry for not explaining by answer more. I had low progesterone for years and the doctors did not give me anything until I was diagnosed with endometriosis last spring. Then they gave me Depo provera which is helping me a lot with pain and syncope.

Thanks for the explanation.

Ernie -

I'm glad the depo-provera is helping in more ways than one. I've often heard that people with POTS benefit from combined birth control pills but I hadn't had any comments about progesterone only methods.

Everyone -

I currently take Yasmin (combined pill) but a gynae has advised that I have a Mirena IUS fitted to help with my heavy periods. The mirena releases progesterone directly into the womb so should help with the monthy nightmare. However it is a much lower dose of progesterone and not much ends up in the rest of the body - I wonder if swapping from Yasmin to Mirena could allow my POTS symptoms to worsen again? Anyone tried a Mirena or know any info?

Thanks,

Flop