Tanning Bed

gertie

I had my Vit D level checked & it was 10, very low. I am struggling to take supplements. I have to start with small dose & work up to 5,000 IU daily. I try sitting in the sun but am very sensitive to it & can't stay out long enough to do much good. Do any of you know of a home lamp or tanning bed that will provide needed Vit D? Dr Mercola has some on his website but they are very expensive. Surely there is an expensive lamp that would do the same thing we could use in the winter. Thanks.

I looked into the Mercola tanning bed too for my low Vitamin D. It's wicked expensive and I'm not sure if you could tolerate it if you have issues with the sun. There is an injectable Vitamin D sold in Canada, perhaps your doctor might be able to get it for you. Mine hasn't been successful, so I'm attempting to spend as much time in the sun as I can and taking a good multi. (Which has helped the bone pain immensely)

This may sound weird, but iguana lamps are along the same lines as the tanning bed. I thought about getting one and then shining it on my arms and legs for a little while each day. Perhaps that might be an option too.

Sara

That's correct about reptile lamps...they cost a heck of a lot less too. I have one that I use for my moth hobby; the bulb cost me about 20$ and gives off both UVA and UVB--it's based on a mercury vapor bulb; the shade and ballast set, cost me about 15$, so for 35$ total that's a heck of a lot less than a tanning bed. It does give off a lot of heat, so you have to be careful where you mount it (the shade comes with a large metal clip that's typically meant to sit on the edge of an aquarium). I picked everything up at a local pet store.

Do keep in mind though, that any mercury vapor lamp such as I described above cannot be exposed to ANY water if it's on--it could cause the lamp to blow.

Nina