Positive Ana

http://www.labtestsonline.org/understandin...s/ana/test.html

?

A positive ANA test result may suggest an autoimmune disease, but further specific testing is required to assist in making a final diagnosis. ANA test results can be positive in people without any known autoimmune disease. While this is not common, the frequency of a false positive ANA result increases as people get older.

Also, ANA may become positive before signs and symptoms of an autoimmune disease develop, so it may take time to tell the meaning of a positive ANA in a person who does not have symptoms. Most positive ANA results don't have significance, so physicians should reassure their patients but should also still be vigilant for development of signs and symptoms that might suggest an autoimmune disease. "

I have heard others mention Vitamin D. You might search the forum for those. As far as the ANA ,first read that link. Second, I never heard of a link to POTS or NCS- but oddly I think there is. I say this because my ANA, Sed rate and Rheumatoid factor are all high. And I don't have RA. So go figure???? I do have chronic viral infection- over 30 years. And I think its the source of my NCS and autoimmune issues.

A positive ANA can mean that you have an autoimmune disorder. But it can also be a fluke or a sign that you could be developing an autoimmune disorder. My ANA was a little bit positive this fall, but I got more testing and I don't currently have any autoimmune disorder. Have you seen a rheumotologist? I learned a lot when I saw one. The rheumotologist can also order the next set of testing which gives more information. Also, were your complements checked when your ANA was tested? Usually, they are checked together. If some of your complements were off too, then it is important to get the next round of testing. Also, Lupus and RA are not the only autoimmune disorders. Some disorders have less symptoms. And those symptoms could be similar to your dysaut symptoms, so it is hard to tell. I hope I was helpful.

A positive ANA can mean that you have an autoimmune disorder. But it can also be a fluke or a sign that you could be developing an autoimmune disorder. My ANA was a little bit positive this fall, but I got more testing and I don't currently have any autoimmune disorder. Have you seen a rheumotologist? I learned a lot when I saw one. The rheumotologist can also order the next set of testing which gives more information. Also, were your complements checked when your ANA was tested? Usually, they are checked together. If some of your complements were off too, then it is important to get the next round of testing. Also, Lupus and RA are not the only autoimmune disorders. Some disorders have less symptoms. And those symptoms could be similar to your dysaut symptoms, so it is hard to tell. I hope I was helpful.

thanks both of you for your answers...I don't know what complements are but I can now ask my primary care doc when I see him next week and he might refer me to a rhemotologist (I never saw one) but a few years age my C reactive protein was off and my doc sent me to one but he didn't test me at all and told me that C reactive protein can just be off if I have a cold/illness and that I didn't need to come and see him. This was very helpful as I know to ask around re: a decent rhemotologist.

I had a couple positive ANA test, but am showing no signs of Lupus/Rheumatoid Arthritis. I saw a Rheumatologist who told me to just be aware and watch for symptoms in the future.

My vitamin D was good, though...but I do drink a lot of skim milk (maybe 5-6 glasses a day, on average) so I think that is what keeps it up. I'm not a sunbather! :huh:

It does slightly worry me, but I know some people have positive ANA and never develop anything so fingers crossed.

ANAs are a rather fickle test, my rheumatologist says you shouldn't test for it if you don't know what you are looking for or how to deal with the result!

Basically ANA is positive in some autoimmune conditions, but you can get a positive ANA for no apparent reason. I found a website that explains it quite well:

info about ANA and autoimmune disorders

Flop