Gi Visit Done!

ironsc

Heylo!

Well, I'm back from a rather interesting hospital visit for the GI stuff. This was also the first time I've ever been admitted into a hospital (that I can remember - baby years don't count!), and had general anesthesia.

The laxative didn't work until I had nearly 3 liters (of 4) in me, which took about 3 hours. :huh: That was odd.

The endoscope showed gastritis with no immediate cause. Biopsies were taken, and I'll know in a week or two. My stomach looked pale white and mottled with red dots all over, except in one place where it had a giant red sore (not an ulcer). I'm expecting involvement from some naughty critters (bacteria, virii, or parasites), or lots of acid.

The "other-end" scope was completely clean, and couldn't find the source of the bleeding. :)

I'm all kinds of sore right now. Especially in the lungs and airways - they had trouble keeping me breathing during the procedure, and they did a number on my lungs. My heart also played tricks on them, generally making the doctor a nervous wreck. When I woke up (shaking fiercely, incontinent as heck, and coughing up a storm), the first question a nurse asked me was, "So how long have you had asthma?". I replied, still blinking away the blurry vision, "I don't - I was tested". :o That was even more odd.

They wheeled my bed over to the recovery area about 2-3 minutes after waking, and I immediately jumped (well, carefully slid off the bed when the rails were set down, and waddled) out of the bed and went for the bathroom (it was entirely opportunistic - the bathroom was ten feet from where they parked me). They tried to chase/help me in there (probably because my file was stamped "moderate fall risk"), but I was too quick for them. I even surprised myself, just being a few minutes awake from the procedure. They vigilantly stood guard at the door, knocking frequently and asking if I was O.K. or needed help. It didn't make it any easier to preserve my dignity with excessive flatulence and incontinence with the nurses just on the other end of a door, which was very surprisingly good at letting acoustic waves pass through. It was an uneasy truce when I exited. :):P:lol:

It was a very nice experience, in all, for my first hospital visit in my entire life. I've never been a patient in a hospital before, nor had general anesthesia. The doctor was late (he's European, or so the nurses blamed), so the nurses, general anesthesia Doc, and I just casually chatted and gossiped while listening to Mozart in the operating room. I think the only thing I hated about the whole experience was having to be pushed around in a wheelchair after admission. I'm trying to stay out of one of those.

I get my results in a week, which should point to either acid or critters causing the gastritis, with all other symptoms being from the POTS.

Sore as I may be after yesterday, I feel great after getting this done, and an answer just around the corner.

Thanks again for your support and ideas earlier. It helped make this a nice visit! :)

Happy thoughts and wellness,

Cam

I'm glad that you are happy (at least somewhat) with your endoscopy. I've had two and it isn't always fun. The first time, it took 3 tries for a nurse to get the IV in my hand. I was eight, but I can laugh about it now. I hope that you get some good and easy results from the biopsy. Good luck!

I'm glad things went well with the testing, and sending prayers for the results to turn out well also.

I know what you mean about the acoustics---- :) Next time I have a procedure done that requires the expelling of gas, I'm turning the water on, and have one of the hand blow dryers on so no one can hear me. :)

I had a barium enema done because my GI doc wanted to avoid sedation because of all my drug sensitivities, low BP, and apnea. The barium enema found 3/4 of my large bowel covered with diverticuli. When I went to the EDS study at NIH, the doctor heading the study recommended a colonoscopy with pediatric scope to get a biopsy, because she thinks I have some kind inflammatory process in addition to the EDS affecting my bowel.

Not looking forward to that, but the prep wasn't as bad as I thought. You have to do the same prep for a barium enema.

Maxine :0)

I'm doing the colonoscopy prep right now, I'm amazed that you didn't say it was horrid.

I really did enjoy your telling of the bathroom escapade. Are you a writer?

Nah, I'm not a writer. I'm more of the stereotypical absent-minded scientist type.

As far as the colonoscopy prep - it wasn't bad at all. I've had worse flu's, and worse stools. The polyethylene glycol laxative didn't start working on me for three hours, and even then I was pretty much lounging around, reading a book on the couch, and casually making my way to the bathroom every 30-45 minutes. It also came out much easier than my worst stools, with no irritation at all (bicarbonate taking care of the stomach acid, salts insuring no excessive water in or out, and the glycerine making it smooth). I absolutely hated the texture when drinking it, but that just made me chug it even faster. I kinda made a game of it - how fast could I chug 8oz? :) Didn't work out so well when it was chilled. Brain freeze by laxative.

Perhaps my body is more tolerant to that specific prep, or perhaps I'm just easiely distracted with a book. Either way, I certainly don't want to do the prep anytime soon again, but I wouldn't be opposed if it were needed.

I think my mother has to do the prep in a month or two, too. Maybe I can time it just right and have her favorite dessert ready on her last day of solid food. Home-made boston cream pie!

Maxine, I think I'll smuggle in a hair dryer next time. Good idea! :) Sorry about the diverticulitis, that doesn't sound very pleasent at all.

Take it easy, and thanks for the good thoughts!

Cam

I'm pretty sure -at this point that I overdosed last time (I used phospho- soda). The Drs. orders are 3 TBS or 1.5 oz. The bottle says 1.5oz and last time I took the bottle. This time I measured 3TBS and I had almost 2 TBS left in the bottle. I had 2 bottles and triple checked indeed the little buggers have more that 1.5oz in them. I was alerted to this because I wondered why I was not experiencing the same horrors as last time.

I was also sick for days afterward with dehydration. I am hopeful I won't have that either. :)

still have a 2nd dose to do But like I said- I'm hopeful.. :)

When Sara was in the hosp. for severe diarrhea, she had a colonoscopy done, they gave her what the dr said was triple the dose of versed to put her out, and it didnt take effect until after the test was over. So she got to experience the whole thing AWAKE !!!!!! The dr told us " if this girl tells you she is in pain, you can believe her, she just had a wide awake colonoscopy !!) A few days later they decide she needs another one and the same thing happened, even after the dr promise her it would never happen again !! Needless to say she is not anxious to have another. Guess they will have to go to other means to sedate her. Best to all (especially those having a colo done)

Susan

Hi,

Glad it seemed to go relatively well (minus a few hiccups). Did they say why you breathing and HR reacted as they did or just leave it at you don't really tolerate anesthesia well? Seems odd, but at least it all worked out! Hope you get some answers and don't have to do it again any time soon! :angry:

Did they say why you breathing and HR reacted as they did or just leave it at you don't really tolerate anesthesia well?

They didn't really talk about it at all, unfortunately. I mentioned to them before the procedure that my heart likes to mimic ventricular tachycardias, but that they are really atrial tachycardias with aberrant conduction, and that it also likes to go all over the place. As far as why they kept asking me about asthma, I haven't the foggyist. My breathing and coughing mimic asthma perfectly (right down to the details and sounds), but I've had asthma tests done (since my beta blocker can cause asthma to get really worse) and they all came back absolutely perfectly negative and normal. I was really taken aback when the nurse said, "So how long have you had asthma?", when I woke.

It makes me wonder if autonomic dysfunction can affect respiration in such a way that it can mimic asthma. POTS can mimic IBS, GERD, and a lot of other things, but can it mimic asthma and cause negative result on the asthma breathing test? Maybe it's something else entirely that is going on. You would think that a direct breathing test would pick up a hypothetical asthma mimic from POTS, unless it was periodic or conditional and the test just happened to miss it. That would be a good question for Dr. Low or Dr. Grubb, I suspect.

I didn't get to see my GI Doc after I woke, so maybe he'll talk about the weirdness when I see him again on Sept 3rd. He doesn't like to talk with his patients unless he has "something to talk about" (i.e. test results, new problems, and the like).

Cam