Sick On Top Of Sick

Hey ya'll,

I was reading someone else's post about a kidney infection, and it made me start to think about one of my scariest health scares, and I have a question for you. Back in February, before I was diagnosed with POTS, but am convinced that I had POTS symptoms for years before that, I came down with a flu/viral infection. My fever was 103 and my heart rate went into the 190's. I do NOT want that to happen again, yet I know that when we get sick, come down with colds, etc. our bodies, including our hearts, work harder to help us fight it, thus, I'm assuming, the even higher-than-normal-high heart rate.

My question is, when ya'll feel like you are coming down with a cold, or a flu, or any type of such infection, how do you handle what that may mean for your POTS symptoms, especially the heart rate? It really, really scared me, and I don't want to end up in the emergency room if there is something I can do about it.

Take an extra dose of Metoprolol? Tylenol around the clock? 2000 fl. oz. of water/gatorade?

Please give me your regimen for when you're sick on top of sick.

Thanks,

Amber

Work at keeping a fever down. Heart rate will increase with a fever, even for "normal" people...taking tylenol, aspirin, motrin, etc., when you feeling it coming is probably not a bad way to go. And ofcourse, keep hydrated. And be prepared for symptoms to be worse for awhile following a viral illness. Always the case with me. Fortunately, though, since all of this really went into full gear, I rarely catch viral infections. Maybe only twice in the past 10 years.

Surprisingly, I don?t feel much worse POTS-wise when sick. For me, POTS flare-ups seem to occur randomly. I can have a bad POTS day and be otherwise well. I can feel run-down and sick or have an infection and have limited POTS symptoms. That said, regardless, it is important to keep a fever under control and keep yourself hydrated. Make sure you take good care of yourself.

More Gatorade, more rest. Please don't take more meds, that's dangerous---ask your doctor if you really want to, not internet forums =)

I hope you feel better soon. I hate being sick, makes POTS soooo much worse. Just try to keep your activity level low, and try taking some Zinc or Echinatia (spelling?) to help you get over the cold faster. Sometimes cough medicine and all that makes me feel worse, so be careful with all that... they also prolong the cold, so I wouldn't recommend it. Advil or pain killers will help you though----especially try to reduce that fever if it ever comes up.

I agree with keeping the fever down and lots of fluids. Also, Sara, too doesnt seem to get viral infections very often, her problem is bacterial infs. she has been septic several times. Had pneumonia, pleuresy, C diff, staph, etc..... Dont know why the viral stuff seems to be less of a problem. Just another quirk of the dysautonomia problem....

:angry:

Susan

I think that there is not a regimen, but that you have to listen to what your body wants/needs. It is dependent on yourself and the state that you are in, and on what you are sick with. Then also dependent on how your body reacts to the "bug". If you think you need to go to the dr go. If you feel dehydrated, bp is low, or you have lost a lot of fluid with being sick, then work to replenish the fluid.

Eat the best you can to give your body fuel. Take vitamins etc. (as prescribed) as able to help fight infections. Ask you dr. about what may be able to help and if safe with your meds, ie. extra vitamin c, zinc, echineaca... Ask what if any meds are best to lower a fever, or if it isn't too high to leave it alone to help fight the infection. Stay warm or cool, depending on how feel. If you need overcounter meds decongestants etc. ask the dr. what you are able to take with your meds. Pharmacists can also sometimes help with this. Overall listen to your body and seek professional help as needed.

Do not take more of your meds etc. without asking the dr. first. Although it MAY lower your HR, it may also lower your BP too low... So, be careful. It is so much a case by case basis that there is not any regimens to go by. Well, okay... REST may be one...! :angry: Always make sure to rest and let your body heal! :)

You may want to discuss this with your doctor... Just ask him when you get sick, it causes your heart rate to increase immensely - what you should do when this happens. Of course the basics of fluids, tylenol, and sleep help too.

Take care.