Midodrine Only 2x A Day? Starting At 5mg Each Time?

kitchmill

My cardiologist prescribed Midodrine for me today at 2x/day, 5mg each dose. I thought that I've read most people take it more often than that, or start with smaller doses and work their way up.

Any thoughts on this? Should I split the pills to start?

Also, he prescribed it INSTEAD of my beta blocker, which was doing just fine to control the vast majority of my episodes. I thought he would add a small amount of Midodrine with the BB to help control the remaining episodes... Starting to wonder if he knows what he's doing.

Standard dosing of midodrine is once every four hours while upright, with the last dose occurring at least 4 hours before you plan to lay down for bed to avoid supine hypertension. Amount taken at each 4 hour interval can go anywhere from 2.5 mg all the way up to 12.5 (maybe even more depending on the doctor). 5mg is a pretty standard starting dose from what folks have written here on the forum--although for folks very sensitive to meds, 2.5 is just as frequently given.

Can't really say whether or not your doc knows what he/she is doing but 2x a day would be fine *if* you're upright for about 8 hours total each day. For me, 3 doses were the minimum to get through a typical day, and if I had any evening activities after work, 4 doses.

If you don't do well with the med, not to worry, it wears off in 4 hours. I could typically tell you the exact moment b/c my bp would crash and I'd become instantly symptomatic.

Nina

Thanks for the info, Nina. *If I had an 8 hour day...* HA! I'm thinking that if it works, twice a day wouldn't be enough. I work full time and have 2 active young children, so my time on my feet each day is minimum 15 hours (of course, I have a desk job, but you know what I mean).

And of course, I am really sensitive to meds. Kind of hesitant to start with 5mg. Wondering if I should just try the 10mg daily dose split up over 4 doses instead of 2 to begin with and see how that works. At least I would know that I can still up it to 5mg, and can always call my doc if I am noticing it wear off too early. He wants to see me again in 2 month anyway, but I can call earlier.