lights bothering my eyes

I have noticed that when my symptoms are at their worst that I have a very hard time seeing things in artificial light. Natural lights and softer watt bulbs dont bother me, but florescent lighting makes it really hard for my eyes to focus. I dont have a hard time seeing the computer or tv screens as long as there isnt that annoying light. I have really noticed this the past few nights when I was in class. The darker it got outside and the more the lights took over, the harder it was for me to focus my eyes. It is awful. Especially since my bp is low right now partially because of the baby. Any suggestions on how to make it better? I feel like I should wear sunglasses at night instead of during the day.

Guest GayleP

I have a really hard time with bright light. I wear sunglasses inside if I'm in a Dr's office or any other place with florescent lights like supermarkets or other stores. It looks weird wearing sunglasses inside but I have to do it.

I even wore my sunglasses inside when I used to go to a gym.

GayleP

I would suggest those "golden eyes", the yellow, or in my case, light green shades. They get rid of most of the glare and I even get my glasses tinted a light rose/gray color. I notice that most florescent lights are terrible on my eyes, I have even gotten sick to my stomach from the flictering of those bulbs that are about ot go out or have bad regulators.

I hope you find what helps.

NEVER feel embarressed by useing sunglasses in classrooms, I had a note from my Doc when I needed them for my typing classes.

Blackwolf

I am like a vampire- I hate light. It bothers my eyes and exacerbates all of my symptoms. Fluorescents have always been my nemesis. They make me feel awful and, of course, are always in school, where I spend most of my time. When I was in jr. high, my school switched to fluorescents in mid-year and I started having migraines that were just crippling. Many other people who were healthy complained that they felt much worse during the day. I agree that soft lighting is ok. I cannot survive without my sunglasses and blinds. My eye pain is terrible when i get it. The supermarket thing- also agree that those lights stink. Sorry that I have no advice because there is no way to avoid these lights. They are cheap, bright and last forever, so great for businesses and institutions. Bad for us.

Flourescent light definitely bothers my eyes, and looking at a computer screen makes it worse...even outside I usually have to wear sunglasses, even when it's cloudy. This symptom has improved since I first got sick, but it's still there.

• 1 year later...

I've become extremely sensitive to florescent lighting. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm under florescents, until my symptoms flare up so bad I can't think or move. I started wearing sunglasses and hats, to block as much of the lights as possible, anytime I go to any type of business. It seems to help the eye pain and vision issues, but does absolutely nothing for the other symptoms. I understand how your eyes can be sensitive to the lights, but how do a certain type of light affect symptoms that have nothing to do with vision.

I pretty much stay in the dark during the day.. even sunlight and regular lights bother me.. and during the day and at night when I am trying to sleep.. I cant stand noise.. as it send jolts of pain through my head.. and my eyes are just to sensitive to lights...

I wear sunglasses yr round..even on cluody days.. when the sun isnt out..

Hi April,

I have the light problems as well. When I'm outisde (or in the car) I'm almost always wearing sunglasses. This last summer I couldn't be in the sun, without them. And you can guess what happened: my face became all brown (which made me look extremely healthy :lol: ) except for the places hidden behind my sunglasses (which made me look like an idiot :lol: ).

I'm sorry you're having problems with this!

Corina

Guest Mary from OH

April,

Not sure if it is just a "POTS" thing or part of the "Migraine" thing, but I am the same way too! Looks like most of us are replying... ditto!! Sorry none of us can be of any help, but supportive of your wearing your sunglasses!! Just know, once again, you're not alone!!! :lol:

• 2 months later...

Same here. Bright lights (even a snowy day) and fake lighting are bad. I too have adjusted my monitors on my computers for comfort, but often I find myself looking away and typing...

I also think I kind of turn my eyes off. I can still see but I just zone out and dont pay attention to what I am looking at. That seems to help me. The down side is I wont notice stuff. EIther that or I only pay attention to the one tiny spot I am typing in, like right where my curser is....and zone / tune out the rest... If I try to take in the whole thing...whammo instant nausea and headache.

I have seen this issue of difficulty with light come up here before. Lights do not bother me, but sound does. On my bad days I cannot handle even the normal volume of voices around me. Seems like all of our senses can be thrown off somewhat by autonomic problems.

Amy

I have a theory - probably quite silly - but i thought id tell you anyway.

professor Esler and his team found by measuring the blood flow in the carotid arteries in the neck that POTs patients often had as much as a 40% reduction in blod volume flow to the brain on extended standing.

If this were teh case, the brain is starving of oxygen. It needs lots of oxygen to adequealty operate all its senses - and perhaps these all become diminished as the blood flow reduces.

They did find that when blood flow reduces, the arteries in the eyes and behind the eyes actually constrict effecting our vision.

the Baker institute in melbourne australia now has the largest funded five years study of pots starting this month. Since they believe they have already worked out a new major cause of pots it will be interesting to see what the next five years of comprehensive study produce.