Does This Count As Pots?

mkoven

I normally think I respond more like ncs than pots-- that most of my fluctuations are bp, not pulse. But sometimes, I'm maybe a little potsy?

The other day when I was in the er hooked up to monitors, my supine pulse was 58. When I stood, it went to 88 within a minute. Since that's not a very high number, does that still count, since it was a thirty point increase, even if starting kinda slow?

Hi,

Even with starting low the number part of the diagnosis counts. But, like Ernie said the other symptoms etc. have to be there as well. Also, it sounds like it may have been an isolated incident due to happening in ER. Does it happen frequently? In the ER you were likely experiencing other symptoms that MAY contribute to that reading, along with meds, stress, frequent standing up and laying down, so many other things could cause an isolated reading such as this. But, what to look at would be does it happen more frequently and with other symptoms?

Well, I always feel awful when I'm standing-- it's just usually more reflected in the blood pressure, not in the pulse. so yes, I felt bad. there are instances when standing will bring me to the 130s. So I think that's why my doc has said I have "autonomic dysfunction"-- the general term. Otherwise I have the diagnoses of neurocardiogenic syncope, neurally meditated hypotension. When I was in the hospital they thought pots, because I would get tachy when up and about on monitors. Whenever I'd be up to use the bathroom or wash my hands, the nurse would come in to make sure I was okay because my pulse was in the 130s. I don't know if that happens regularly. I"m used to feeling bad when I stand, so it's all relative.

So yes, I feel bad when I stand--always. I always know that my minutes are numbered before I'll have to sit to avoid feeling really sick. It's just that I though my problem was primarily a bp thing, but I guess sometimes it's a pulse thing too.