How Many Of Us Have Dark Skin On Elbows, Knees, Knuckles, And Scars?

Tammy

Just wondering if we all have this problem... maybe it is just age, but my elbows, knees, knuckles, and scars are all dark brown, but the rest of me is pale white from no sun exposure. Is this a POTS thing?

- Tammy

Sadly, I've had a cortisol test and it shows that it is normal at the doctors office. However, at a naturopathic doctors office, who did a saliva test, it showed drops in cortisol throughout the day more than it should... so I was hoping we all have this and that the skin coloring is just normal for us :blink: I can't seem to get anywhere with it from doctors as they just shrug their shoulders and say it looks like hormonal problem but no one can figure out what! thanks for the input though.

Welcome to the wonderful world of endocrinology! :blink: I have the symptoms of Diabetes Insipidus, hypogonadism and hypothyroid, but some of my stuff comes back "normal" too. They keep repeating the tests though, and more and more of them are not normal. I'm working on my fourth endo in a row, they just keep referring me to an older, crustier doctor who has supposedly seen more. As my OB/GYN has said, it never hurts to get a second opinion. It is better to be a pest and find that is truly is nothing than to have an addisonian crisis and end up in the ER! Good luck!

Jennifer

I have these too. Not all of my joints have it, but I have very dark skin on my big toe joint (right foot only), left ankle, right and left foot, back of neck and elbows. Thought it was Addison's at first too, and got that checked out- twice. Both times the serum cortisol is on the low side (8 in the morning- I forget the units) but when stimulated, it responds beautifully. (I SO want some ACTH for when I'm feeling symptomatic - it gets rid of all my symptoms).

I wonder if we have an ACTH issue, not a cortisol issue. Then again, my aldosterone is also through the floor, (that's how I got put on Florinef in the first place). I have asked about Addison's but have been told that until my cortisol doesn't respond to ACTH, I'm still normal.

C'est la vie.

Sara