I'm Very Proud Of Myself!

I started a pain clinic at the Rehab Institute of Chicago (RIC) last Monday. The main reason I went was my chronic chest pain, but some of the stuff helps with POTS too. I have had a really hard week. The clinic is from 8am-4pm every day. I get home and can barely do anything. I have conditioning 3 days this week. For conditioning, we go to a gym that is close by and do cardio stuff and can work on our exercises for PT. Yesterday I did 20 minutes on the recumbent bike and 10 minutes on the elliptical. It was hard and I was really sore today. Now the amazing part: I want to increase the time on the elliptical, so I only went 18 minutes on the bike today. I was planning on going on the elliptical for 12. I ended up staying on the elliptical for 20 minutes!!! and then I went and did pool therapy. I think that I might have pushed my limits a little bit, but I'm not in bed from it. I thought that everyone here would appreciate my improvement. I'm really hoping that I get some help.

You have a lot to be proud of! Keep up the good work!! Don't worry too much about pushing yourself too far this once. It sounds like you know your boundaries. Sometimes we need to give ourselves that extra push to show us what we are capable of and give us confidence! Hope things continue going well for you.

Guest tearose

Good turn of events! How happy you must feel every day you are able to do a bit more!

keep up the great work, you are in a supervised place so trust your instincts and the care around you!

best regards,

tearose

Great job! I'm proud of you too. It's difficult to address those chronic issues...we're so often stuck in a crisis cycle, focusing on the worst symptoms first, but they can't really every be totally resolved and we need to address the chronic, stealthy symptoms between those crisis periods too.

Hope this program works out for you :P

Great news. I actually went through that program five years ago, before any ans symptoms, for chronic back pain. It was really helpful at the time.

I'd love to hear how they help you with ans stuff. I've often wondered in hindsight what they'd do with me now....

Keep up the good work That is a lot of exercise. Can i ask what you started at?

I have been working on the elliptical for awhile. I started with 8 minutes at physical therapy. I did that for months. The goal here is really to exercise for 30 minutes, so I do what I can on the elliptical, then finish on the bike.

mkoven-- I'm glad to hear that it helped you. I feel like I'm getting stuff out of it. I don't really do much for my ANS, except that the chronic pain stuff works for that too. The doctors have heard of POTS, but the PTs and OTs don't know too much about it, but they can help pacing and standing tolerance. It is a really great place.

I'd be curious to hear who the docs are these days, if you want to send me a pm. I went there even before I had my eds diagnosis, though it was suggested that I was hypermobile, and I injured my knees and ankles while there.

I've held on to many of the principles, though doubt I would have the physical stamina now to do it.