Metoprolol Or Atenlol

sheba

I have been taking Atenlol when I first went to the hospital and was diagnosed only take 12.5 mg. The new doc wants me to take Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg. I have low blood pressure. I wanted to know if anyone think that Metoprolol was better for me or should I keep with Attenlol?

I was started on Metoprolol Succinate ER 25mg back in March when I had my second visit to the ER for tachycardia, and cardiologist continued the medicine when I saw him. I wouldn't say that it has been a wonder drug, but I guess it has helped control my heart rate. If I get out in the heat and/or am active, my heart rate will still get up into the 150's.

I guess my own increased understanding, thus lessened anxiety over the tachycardia, rather than any drug, has helped more.

I'd be interested in what others, who've dealt with this longer, would have to say.

Amber

I had more problems trying to take atenolol that I have ever had with any other drug. It was so bad that I wouldn't even consider another beta blocker for years. I've been able to tolerate another beta blocker quite well, though.

Atenolol is a "selective" beta blocker. There is some evidence that POTS patients might do better with less "selective" beta blockers. How do you do on the atenolol? I guess that's the question. If you feel it helps instead of hurts, then why change? If you think the results could be improved upon, then I'd probably give the other a try.

It is trial and error, and depends on what works best for you. I guess the question would be why the dr. thought the Metoprolol would be better? Was it because of side effects you were having? Many people here take either one, so I is really what works best for you. It is worth a try if the dr. prescribed the metoprolol to try it and discontinue the other if that is what they said to do.

If it doesn't work well, you could always go back after a good trial of the Metoprolol to the Atenolol.

Good luck!

Atenolol is the only drug I can tolerate and I've been on it a long time now. Everything is trial and error. if the atenolol works for you, I wouldn't want to mess with it, but if you want to see if something else could work better, all you can do is try it and see. What works for one can feel lethal to another around this popsicle stand...morgan