Mouth Canker Sores

I'm not talking about herpes or anything outside the mouth--- just ulcers of the membrane inside your mouth.

Do you guys get canker sores a lot in your mouth? I get like...infestations of these suckers all the time. Usually if I skip ONE day of brushing, or if it's before my period, or if I cut or bite anything in my mouth, it instantly turns into an angry horrible canker sore. I was wondering if this had to do with too much stomach acid, or any kind of immune system weirdness. What would make me so sensitive to getting these? I've done research but can't find why I'm special. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this issue?

Melissa-Sara has been having a problem with canker sores lately. She gets giant ones on her lip. And her mouth gets tender and sore inside. Her doctor gave her a RX for something called Swish and Swallow. I think its generically called nystatin. It helps but its not instant cure. Good luck I know they are terribly painful. Susan :)

Amen, Melissa. I have the SAME funk-stank-tastic thing going on in my mouth. They come about as another lovely little manifestation of my multi-symptom PMS horrifia every month, also when I chew/bite the inside of my lip, which I do when I'm nervous/anxious/bored/thinking-too-hard. I guess I can expect it from biting my lip, but really, it seems like if I even nibble, there it is the next day.

I'm with you, sister.

Amber

I just got over a horrible batch (if you look at my post about it being my turn, I vented about the pain).

Firstly, I was told to avoid tartar control toothpaste, toothpaste with SLS (an additive to make toothpaste foam). I used the rinse, similar to described above, but mine was benedryl, malox, and lidocaine. It made it possible for me to eat--but keep in mind that the lidocaine can actually slow down the healing process. B vitamins are supposed to be useful, as is vitamin e applied directly to the surface of the sore.

I had dinner with my family last night and found out both my sisters have the same problem with the canker sores that I do.

Nina

• 1 month later...

I've never really had canker sores but I have one now!

It's very painful and on my tongue, making it hard to eat and drink. It even woke me up in the night it hurts so bad.

I don't understand how something so small can be so painful.

I've looked them up and there's no specific treatment or cause. I've had it a few days and just hope it goes away soon.

Any tips on how to ease the pain on this thing? Anything that's worked?

Gah. Something else, but not a surprise at this point.

Yeah, I tend to get them too with anything that irritates my mouth. It can be food, meds, toothpaste, beverage, biting my tongue/cheek, too much salt etc...

For canker sore pain you can use Orajel or other similar oral pain relievers.

I used to have to use it a lot when I had braces... I had a lot of canker sores back then!

YES!!! OMG yes. I get them all the time and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I only just recently started wondering if it was somehow related to POTS/dysaut.

A few years ago, my doc told me people who get them frequently do so if their body is deficient in vitamins. I have noticed that I get them more frequently if I'm busy and a I go a day or two without eating a lot of fruits and vegetables... but at the same time, none of my bloodwork has ever come back with vitamin deficiencies, so I'm not sure how accurate this is. But maybe try taking a vitamin and boosting your veggies, just in case it helps!

I sure wish I knew the answer to this one!

jump

I don't get them, amazingly. However, my husband and daughter, both who do not have POTS and are very healthy, have the same problem. If my daughter eats Strawberries, she gets a mouth full of cluster like sores and they cause her so much pain. She's 3 and she's had them flare up since she was 1. Mostly for them, acidic foods citric fruits seem to cause more problems.

I get them on occasion, and they are very painful. Once in my early 30s I had two rather long ones on my gums, and they were so bad I had a low fever with them. I had to go on antibiotics. I can't remember what the dentist called it, but it went away with the antibiotics.

I got another one when my tooth was extracted a couple weeks ago. It went away quickly though. I bit my tongue a couple days ago, and it hurt so bad I screamed out loud------this seems to be healing quickly. However, I have bitten it again a couple of times because it was swollen on that side----but not as bad. The canker sores I sometimes get inside my lip hurt a lot, but go away quickly.

Tarter control toothpaste causes zits around my mouth, and I can't use it.

Maxine :0)

My dh and I use "Zilactin-B" which is found in the Orajel section of stores. The label says "long lasting mouth sore gel; oral pain reliever; provides fast, temporary pain relief from canker sores, minor mouth sores and gum irritations, denture and brace pain.". You just put a little on a Q-tip end and apply to a somewhat dried area where the sore is. Try to let it air-dry on there, while it provides a sort of coating on the sore. It might sting a little, but it does help! I'm sorry you are having these.

Michelle F.