Appetite- Does It Ever Come Back? Its Been 4 Months!

ana_22

Hi, i introduced myself earlier, since then i have been diagnosed with POTS via TTT.

One of my main complains is GI stuff.... no appetite, cant tolerate certain foods, nausea etc.

I had extreme constant nausea for 3 months and it seems to have settled over the last month (fingers crossed) and now it only rears it ugly head a few times a day. Despite this i still have NO appetite at all and really have to force myself to eat any kind of food.

My question is has anyone ever lost there appetite with POTS probably due to nausea and then have it eventually come back?

Same thing happened to me in the beginning! I went 6 MONTHS without an appetite. I remember it well...Eating was never enjoyable to me, I just did it because I had to. I lost a lot of weight. I remember the first time I got hungry so well too!! I was with my roommate and all of a sudden I felt hunger so I took advantage of it and ordered the tastiest most fattening chicken finger sub ever. Not a good food for us POTS people, but it sure tasted good at the time. Since then, the appetite has wavered with my symptoms, but do not fear...It will come back!

Yes, in the beginning I was nauseous a lot and had little, if any, appetite. I dropped about 20 lbs. in 2-3 months. I had to force myself to eat. Between the nausea and the stress of not having a dx, having a million tests done, then finally having a POTS dx and trying to get a handle on what that meant, I think that really killed my appetite. Slowly but surely, it did come back though.

I've learned to ignore the constant nausea. In my 20's and 30's, it was harder to ignore and I was much thinner b/c of it. Now it only bothers me when I get REALLY nauseated to the point where I feel I may vomit.

Nina

I was having pretty regular nausea until I started taking "Lyrica" for a nerve burning pain I am having. Its weird, but I haven't had much nausea at all since then... and my appetite is stronger than its been in a longggggtime!

I also had a lot of nausea when I first got sick, and lost weight. Now, 16 months later, it comes and goes with my other symptoms, and when I am feeling better, I am not nauseated, and my appetite is normal. But I would say that at first, it was one of my most bothersome symptoms.

I too had nausea, but after 4 months it settled out. My appetite is back, but the thirst is far worse. I just seem to borrow any fluid that I drink. Eat the best food you can stomach in small amounts and your appetite should come back. Have you had your electrolytes checked? That can definitely cause nausea.

Jennifer

First year for me I had no appetite, the second year it wax and waned and now, mostly, unless I'm having a very symptomatic time during the day, I can eat. But something stressful in my life will throw my appetite out the window for a few days at a time, so it really varies. Hope your appetite improves with time... I'm sure it will, as it does for most of us. If it's the nausea that is bothering you, you may want to try ginger tea... it really does help and you may feel hungry after about an hour of drinking the tea. Take care.

Guest tearose

Like others, my nausea wax and wanes. I too drink ginger tea to soothe the feeling. When my GERD or gastroparesis is active then I have more trouble. I use OTC things to take the edge off too.

tearose