Migraines?

shayden

I have had constant migraines since my POTS has been so bad. I am currently taking 1000mg Depakote and 1.5 Tramadols all day and night for pain. I have tried Topamax and that didn't work.

If you have migraines and you have been able to get them stopped or calmed down, could you please let me know how?

Thanks so much for your help!

Susan

Oh, I can really feel bad for you. You need to first break the migraine. Have you spoken with your neurologist? When I had a long-lasting migraine, the only thing that helped was intravenous DHE. My neurologist says the best thing to treat migraines is not to get them. She has put me on a prevention plan: neurontin, zoloft, and ritalin. That seems to be holding back the number of migraines. Moreover, when I do get a migraine, the attack can be resolved using maxalt. It took a while to get to this system but it works. My doc also gave me a plan as to what medication to take in what order and what dose when I get a migraine: First maxalt and percocet; then double maxalt, then DHE nasal spray, then go to the emergency room for IV DHE.

Please call your doc and get some treatment. You can't keep having migraines!!!

I take Imitrex for my migraines and it works wonders, usually.

I went to the neurologist today and he told me that some of my visual problems are do to painless migraines. I hadn't ever heard of that before. He said sometimes they come on before a traditional migraine or they just last for about 20 minutes with just visual disturbances.

I take Neurontin 300mg twice a day and zoloft 25 mg and when I get a migraine I use fioricet, but usually they are so bad that I end up in the ER. They have a protocol for migraines, but I am not sure what all they give me. You should see a neurologist that is who has really helped me. good luck!

Jaime

my son was getting 4-5 migraines a week. topamax really works well for him, but i went to my dentist and she said the fda has just approved a mouth appliance for the prevention of migraines. it's called an NTI and he's getting one tomorrow. i have one for clenching and it makes a huge difference in muscles spasms in my jaws and stuff. it's really small, just snaps on your two front teeth, so really easy to get used to. you might check into it. my dentist charges 100 dollars, but it should be covered under medical as it's fda for medical. morgan

Hi,

DHE is not very safe. Some people have terrible reactions to it. They dont use it very often because of that. However, I hear it works pretty well. I had daily mirgaines for years, most of them quite severe. I get hemiplegic migraines, which means I have paralysis on the left side of my body with some migraines. I often have weakness and blurred vision on the left side right before a terrible headache, even with meds. When I was at my worst, I was using a cane and dragging my leg behind me. I was only 20 at the time and this was awful. I have had migraines since infancy and they have been severe most of my life. Now to get to the what has helped:

I cant take any imitrex like meds because I have high bp and unstable bp that goes to the high range is a contraindication with triptans. I can only take fioricet and percocet for my worst headaches. It works, but I can't use it everyday and I need more to work over time. So, I have tried a million different preventives, from nortriptyline (almost killed me) to SSRIs to calcium channel blockers. I found that the calcium channel blockers worked well but caused arrythmias and chest pain. I tried Depakote and Topomax too, but I put on 30 lbs in on two months (I was drastically underweight at the time, so it was OK. I am still trying to lose 5 of the lbs) and I lost half my hair. I was 21 and I think of myself as a pretty young woman and I thought I might want to try something else. THe Depakote also did not eliminate my symptoms.

Now, I take Neurontin. It has done wonders for my health. All of my other health problems have improved with it. I stopped using the cane and crutches and go to the gym and walk around NYC now. I still have trouble standing and walking continuously, of course. I have frequent migraines, but not daily anymore. I have to take a huge dose of the Neurontin (1200 mg 3x a day), but it is worth it. My biggest side effect is that I am just about Narcoleptic. I need 9 hours of sleep or else. I also have times when I will get an aura and then instead of a painful migraine, I get this overwhelming exhaustion and a need to put my feet up or suffer so much. If I lie down and rest, I am OK. I have much less pain, much shorter and less frequent auras and I have had less migraines that land me in the ER. I highly recommend Neurontin.

I also have bad muscle spasms and pain all over my body. I have bad TMJ as well from years of competitive violin and viola playing. I use a mouth splint/guard thing at night and take a small dose of a muscle relaxant before bed every night. This has been very helpful. I take ultram twice daily for GI pain and to help the nerves in my gut. It is a pain management med, so that is supposed to help the migraines. I also take a daily anti-inflammatory NSAID- Bextra. Last, beta-blockers are used to prevent migraines and they also help POTS. Mine is sectral, a med that also helps with adrenaline rushes. It helped my migaines when I first started it, but then the effect wore off.

I hope that helped. I am 23 now and have gone through the gamut of migraine treatment. You might want to try massages and acupuncture as well to supplement your western meds. Some insurances cover medical massage and acupuncture when given by a doc. Both of those help me. I also use a microwavable, nice smelling, heating pad on my neck when I get a migraine. If my hands, feet, and neck are warm, my circulation gets better and my headache improves. One more thing, caffeine a few times a week helps when you feel a migraine coming on. Don't use it everyday or you get addicted! It works best when no more than 2 or 3 days in a row. My endocrinologist/gyne combo doc told me that caffeine is the best treatment for menstrual migraines.

I know that was a lot, but I really hope I helped.

I know how you are suffering, feel better soon.

Leah

This all sounds terribly. Sorry to hear you are battling so much. Have you had a Glucose intolerance test? I use to get constant migraines or 3-4 a week. This all changed when I left sugar and started eating 6 small meals a day. It is the cheapest test I have ever had but it works if you have a sugar problem. Sugar is in everything and you will have to learn to read labels and cut out allot of foods. It is worth it I promise. Have it checked out. You will just lead a healthier life without migraines. I have had excellent dieticians who have helped me during the years. Try it you have nothing to loose. :rolleyes:

Morgan,

I thought that the topamax was great too. I think it helped a lot. That is until I developed kidney stones. I guess that was a side effect that was never explained to me because it doesn't happen often. It does happen though. I am sure your son has increased fluid intake, but I would increase it more. They told me to drink at least 2 liters a day. It will help to not obtain the stones. Since I went off the med I have not had any stone relapses.

Shelby

shelby, thanks for your concern. since my son is chronically ill, he is always seeing someone. his pcp is following him very closely with his topamax and he's had no problems and blood work is okay so far. i am a little nervous about it, but it sure is helping him and the nti appliance is helping too. i want him to get used to that, then go without the meds and see what happens. he takes 16 pills a day now as it is, so it would be nice to get him off something! morgan

Like goldicedance, the only thing that helped me when I had my 3-mos migraine was DHE. Then once it went away, I continued to get them just before my period. I know use Amerge proactively (before I get a headache) during those days, and as long as I remember to take it, I do fine.

Nina :unsure: