Octreotide Questions-please Help!

Radha

i know this was just discussed in a recent post, but i wanted to know if octreotide has to be injected each time in the stomach or can you inject it anywhere and change places each time? for those of you who have used it do you use it to help stand or help lessen the problems with eating? i would be taking it for eating so i would think i would have to inject it in the stomach each time but i am not sure, so any help would be appreciated, thanks alot

Radha

Drugs like octreotide and insulin are injected sub-cutaneously (into the fat layer under the skin, not into the deeper muscle layer like most vaccinations). Injecting into the abdomen wouldn't have a specific effect on the stomach as the med would be absorbed into the bloodstream and taken around the body that way. I know that insulin can be injected into several sites (abdomen, outer thighs, upper arms) but you would have to ask your doctor where it is safe to inject octreotide. Even if the doctor says the abdomen only you wouldn't inject the same spot - you can probably find enough sites so that you don't get too sore.

Flop

Hi again Radha,

As you know, I have been using the octreotide injections for about a month now. I find that they help really well with standing for longer periods without feeling dizzy, and also they help greatly with eating. I found food was really a problem with me. I had to be very careful about quantity and type of food ( avoiding carbs helped a little). Also, eating a little but often.Even with the octreotide, I plan my eating around the shots. I try to do a shot as near to meal times as possible.I feel the greatest benefits in the morning, when I used to be particularly bad, dizzy, v.low BP etc. In fact I avoided eating breakfast at all because it made me feel even worse than I already felt. Now I am able to do so much more. For example, only this morning I have been baking for my husband's birthday party from about 9 a.m. till 12 noon. Something I couldn't even contemplate before the jabs.The shot I do at night is less noticably beneficial, though it still helps a lot. I think it might be because at the end of the day I am tired and like to sit for longer periods without activity. Then when I get up from the chair, I notice that horrid dizzy feeling again.

I tend to do the shots in my stomach because it is accessible, though my husband has given me shots in my backside too. Anywhere with a fatty layer is suitable. I haven't tried my legs because ther doesn't really seem any need to. I just pick different places on my stomach, which doesn't seem to be a real problem. I am getting much better now at administering them too.

Good luck with your doctor, and do let us know how you get on.

Karen

hi Karen, thanks so so much for replying, do you do one injection every single day? any side effects at all? i was worried about sticking them in the stomach so many times, maybe stick it in an organ by mistake because there are so many organs in the stomach! i am so desperate for help with eating, and i stay away from carbs too, no sugar either, thanks so so much for your input! my mom was worried about sticking it in the stomach but you say its ok, thanks

radha

Hello Radha,

Actually, I am giving myself 3 shots a day. All into the stomach area. I haven't run out of sites yet! Being right handed, I tend to inject more into the left hand side of my stomach, so that area gets the most 'hits'. Sometimes, I might inject just a few centimetres away from where I went 5 hours earlier. It doesn't seem to make much difference.

You still sound very anxious about the whole thing and I would really like to re-assure you that, if you are able to try this drug, you might find the benefits by far outweigh any nervousness you might be feeling about the actual procedure. I can appreciate your apprehension, as I was exactly the same. Anyway, good luck and keep me posted!

Karen