Inplantable Loop Recorder

hi ya folks.. i'm going to be getting one of these implantable loop recorders put in ...sometime soon...

what i was wonder can you have MRI's done while having it in? I'm going to be going to the cleveland clinic to see a NSG. and I'm going to need an MRI done of my thorasic and stuff done...

SOOO I'm wondering..cause i think I'm going to have the implant before my appoint in spt. with the nsg. will an MRI scramble the device?

maybe i should try and get it done before i have the loop in hmmm,.....

thanks folks

Guest tearose

I would be surprised if you could do an MRI.

Do call and find out. Probably err on the side of caution and push up the MRI

What is the MRI of?

Is this a temporary loop recorder?

What is going on with you these days?

best regards,

tearose

Hey Dizz,

I have a loop recorder still in, and I have had full spine MRI's, Brain MRI's and MRAs.

They just have to down load it first before you have the MRI because it scrambles everything up looking like you had an event that just isn't possible.

Then you have to go back and have it reset. For me it was easy because Dr. Grubb is local for me, and the guy that does the loop recorder downloads is in the same hospital as Dr. Grubb. He's a great guy----very nice.

I don't know if you have someone locally to handle that for you, as I can't see you coming back and fort to Toledo for that.

When my thoracic MRI was done I could feel the loop recorder get warm, and it did scare me a bit.

Mine is still in and needs to come out. It's been in since July 2005. It's only supposed to be 18 months to two years.

I have so much going on, we have put it on hold to remove it. The Doc said it won't hurt anything to be in there.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Maxine :0)

I just got a loop recorder put in last month. One of the first things they told me was that i can't have a mri done while it's in. I saw my neurologist last month because of my left arm going numb, and my left left dragging. And he wanted to do an MRI but had to settle for a CT scan instead because of the loop recorder.

hi

uhm dr g is going to be putting mine in i still have to schedule it.... and i guess try and get the mri done first...and your riht maxine going back and forth to toledo would be WAY TOO much ! as my niece would put it "NOWAY"

TEA~ Uhm the loop can stay in up to 3 yrs. its being put in b/c i have such out of the norm symptoms.. and "we" want to see if my HR is dropping to low .. maybe that is causing some stuff to happy.. i have a hospital ER trip where my HR was yoyo-ing back and forth going to high 70's 100' and dropping to 29 and went on like this for about 20 minutes.. the hospital staff b/c I was still talking to them and conscious.. chalked it up to "equipment failure" even though they hooked me up to new "equipment" and the same darn thing happened....

forget the fact that my heart often feels like its gonna stop when i get certain spells..... gee wizzzzzzzzz!!!!!! I got to get an MRI of my thorasic spine done.. having lots og psine issue and lots of other issues.. I really should post an update!

thanks for the input ladies! :)

Guest tearose

Thank you for explaining this to me. I hope it gets lots of helpful information for you.

In the meantime, good luck with the MRI.

best regards,

tearose

I wonder why they are saying you cant have MRI's done now. I know at NIH they did quite a bit of research on it before they did my last MRI. I had so many done, and had no problems. The loop recorder continued to work until December of 2007.

Sorry your having such a bummer of a time Dizz. I know thoracic spine pain will knock the wind out of you. Keep your chin up.

Hugs,

Maxine :0)

I have a loop recorder in. I needed an MRI of my head looking for vascular tumours last year. My doctors had a bit of a debate about whether it was ok for me to have the MRI or not. The MRI technicians freaked and said no way was I going to have the scan. The Radiologist looked it up on the internet and said he thought it would be ok. I asked my cardiologist and he got in touch with Medtronik who make the Reveal device and they said it would be ok. I later had an MRI of my lower spine. I didn't notice any warmth or tugging on the device (which I had been told to expect) but I guess that may be noticable if they are actually scanning the area that the device is in. The second hospital that scanned me wanted to check the magnet strength of the first MRI machine to know that theirs wasn't more powerful.

I had my device put in at a hospital about an hour from where I live. After the scans I went back there to have it reset as the scan scrambles the data in it. My device is set to only record when I tell it to so I didn't have to have it downloaded before the MRIs. Lots of hospitals have the equipment to download and reset loop recorders. The Medtronik website lists some centres that will see patients eg if you are on holiday, so you should be able to go to a more local hospital to get it downloaded and reset again.

Flop