Traveling By Plane

tishag

Hi-

I already looked at the "What to avoid" information to get some answers but was just curious... Has flying had an effect on any of yalls POTS? Next month my bf and I wanna fly to visit his family and was just curious what to expect... I already hyperventilate rather quicky- I'm just wonderin if there may be something I can do to keep that from happening as well... Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks,

T

Hi-

I already looked at the "What to avoid" information to get some answers but was just curious... Has flying had an effect on any of yalls POTS? Next month my bf and I wanna fly to visit his family and was just curious what to expect... I already hyperventilate rather quicky- I'm just wonderin if there may be something I can do to keep that from happening as well... Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks,

T

If I have to fly...I drink a lot of H20 and Gatorade.

I wonder if you can still get away with taking CLOSED Gatorade on the plane? I know they are so picky about liquids sometimes...but I saw Gatorade 'packets' at the store you can put in water so that may be more viable. If I recall correctly, they threw out my closed bottle of water last flight. :)

I think now I'd have to tell the stewardess/steward I need a bottle of H20 asap (maybe take a doctors note).

Dress comfortable, don't carry anything too heavy, bring something to listen to/watch to keep your mind off things...

Those are all things that help me! Good luck!

Guest tearose

I would recommend lots of compression and hydration. The cabin pressure is variable so you are at the mercy of the flight crew. Just smile and ask how long it takes for the cabin pressure to regulate so you don't pass out!

take care,

tearose

I always feel lousy and see sparkles during flights- and those are just short ones, from England to Scotland that last less than an hour! Make sure you drink something like Gatorade, and also keep wiggling your toes and keep your feet moving. Wear compression stockings if you can.

I am getting ready to travel to the very north of Scotland in just a couple of weeks and although I could have flown to Inverness for not very much, I decided it would be kinder on my body if I just got a sleeper train (overnight train) from London up instead. At least that way my blood pressure should be ok!

Ket us know how you get on. :o

Flying makes me really sick!!

If at all possible, DON'T fly in the morning. I used to take early-morning flights because they're cheaper, but I'd be so sick for three or four days afterwards it didn't even make saving money worth it. Fly as late in the day as you can.

I drink a TON - at least 8 oz of water for every hour I fly on top of the 3+ liters I drink anyway. And I eat a lot of salt before and during flight.

Part of it, though, is I just accept that on the day I fly and probably the day after I'm pretty much useless. I don't try to do long-weekend trips anymore because I feel so sick it isn't worth it.

jump

I'm generally all right with flying...only because I've come to understand what will happen. Now I know just to expect certain things.

During the flight, I'm just kind of out there...no joke, after several flights, one time I looked around and realized that other people on the plane were actually sitting completely upright and able to lift their heads off the back of their seats and I thought "Hey....other people actually lift up their heads during a flight!". So, I just kinda sit there with my head slumped and do nothing. Honestly, what is there to do, anyway? This part isn't unpleasant, particularly. Often I do experience nasty symptoms on descent. Often this is extreme pain in my head and/or my chest. If we're lucky, we descend and land fairly quickly. If we're not so lucky, we're stuck up at about 10,000 ft circling around forever waiting our turn to land. That's very, very bad. Anyway, I know to expect this, and if its a good flight, the absolute misery rarely lasts more than about 10 minutes.