Emotional Changes

masumeh

Emotional Changes since Dysautonomia  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm interested in this issue because I read that the autonomic nerves relay signals from the body to the brain and this causes emotional reactions such as fear, humor, sorrow, etc. I realized that I cry a lot less since developing POTS, like if something sad happens. I wonder if this is why.

Hi!

I think the emotional differences people see are due to medications and side effects of the condition (i.e. hypoglycemia- you can get short-tempered etc.).

The autonomic nerves and control centers of the brain are not the same as those centers of the brain that control emotion and personality. So, I don't really think that it is the dysautonomia that is really causing the emotional changes. But, of course just having all this go on can cause a lot of stress etc! :) This stress could also manifest in a variety of ways, even making one more emotional (crying, outbursts etc).

Sometimes the wellbutrin dulls my emotions, and I don't cry very easily. This is frustrating, because sometimes I need to cry. Any depression or emotional problems come secondary to my physical illness, and limitations.

I think it's more what the dysfunctioning ANS, and EDS/SPINE instability issues do to me physiologically that causes me to feel like screaming sometimes. I feel like climbing the walls some days, or feel so depressed I don't want to get out of bed-----BUT I DO.

Climbing-Up-the-Walls.gif

Maxine :0)

It appears that I am opposite of you. My emotions since POTS have been ramped up to the extreme! Its hard to control sometimes, because whether they're good or bad emotions, they all still lead to stress. What medications are you on? Any SSRIs can certainly "numb" emotions in certain people...I had a short stint with Zoloft last year and I literally felt like a walking zombie on that med. No emotions whatsoever, complete apathy for everything. Beta-blockers, too, cause this in some people because they slow down your system. This is especially true if you are on a non-selective beta-blocker like propranolol.

I don't take any meds besides a small dose of beta-blocker, so I'm assuming its all the POTS ramping up my emotions. If you aren't on any medication that could potentially dull the emotions, it would be interesting to see other responses as to why POTS might dull certain people's but heighten others.

Guest tearose

edited on Aug 7:

I only use an estrogen patch. If I am late for a dose I do get chest pains.

I took caffeine (to raise my miserable morning bp), and now must reluctantly accept that I have developed a terrible intolerance.

I think we can control our emotions. I have an old saying "you can't control what happens to you, you can only control how you respond."

I guess when I feel happy or joyful emotions I try to stop and remind myself to appreciate that moment. If I feel sad or upset I try to figure out what it is that is bringing it on and figure out if I should validate it, study it, work on it, sit with it, let it go or appreciate it.

I have found zen meditation the path to clarity on my emotions and how to release them.

best regards,

tearose

When my POTS feels out of control, my emotions go crazy. And it's really bad, because stress causes my POTS to act up. I have been much more likely to get annoyed since having POTS.

I've also always been very emotional and have seen no change with developing POTS. When I'm over-tired, I cry more easily, so I guess in a round-about way POTS sets me up for more crying jags since it wears me out... but other things make me tired too, and if I stay rested my emotions are pretty even.

jump

I've never been an overly emotional person, and now I'm even less so. Often, I find myself having to think about what some stronger emotions feel like so I can generate the appropriate response. I'm not on any anti-depressants, but my emotions feel dulled down, apparently like many of my neuro-receptors.

Someone remarked in a post above about feeling agitated when upright. Years ago, right before my symptoms really started to intensify, I'd noticed that I'd stand in line in a grocery store and start getting really impatient. Very unlike me as I tend to be fairly even keeled...took me awhile to realize that it was by whole body saying "I can't stand here like this for very long!"

And yes, when I'm not feeling well, I tend to get shorter tempered. Who doesn't?

My experience has been much like jump's in that if I'm tired, I'm easier to rattle; I cry, I get angry, etc. It has always been this way for me, so the POTS contributes in that I'm more easily tired, therefore more easily "emotional."

I should add that, like a couple others, I have always been, generally, a more emotional person, and have suffered from depression and anxiety disorders for years, so....

does the POTS make it worse? yes, in that, if you take a emotional/depressed/anxious person, and lay a significant health problem on top of that, well...

it ain't fun.

Thanks to everyone who voted! It's a really interesting issue, and not as simple as textbook descriptions of the autonomic nervous system's role in emotion. I think that to address the psychological problems that sometimes accompany POTS, such as anxiety and depression, we will one day need to delve into some serious biopsychological research. The interaction between the adrenal-endocrine processes, autonomic rellaying of heart rate and other exitatory responses to the brain, and cognitive responses maybe doesn't work exactly the way current biopsychological models describe. Otherwise, we would mostly be experiencing dulled emotions after dysautonomia, while in fact more than half of us seem to have increased emotionality.

Thanks again for the responses.

• 11 months later...

It looks like I'm in the minority being that I have duller reactions to emotional situations. I've learned that any strong emotional reaction makes my symptoms worse, positive or negative, so I've developed a flatter affect. However, if the stress gets to a point where I feel overwhelmed I feel like my threshhold for containing myself is more easily crossed. On the whole, I do notice I'm grumpier during normal activities, but only when I'm upright....hmmm <_<

However, I've become more content and have a higher level of baseline happiness overall because I've learned to value my relationships more since POTS.

As a guy Id just say I get more cranky when i stand too long and when ive got POTS bad I cant deal with any stress.

That being said I wouldnt at all be surprised if POTS did indeed affect our brain chemistry - many of the mechanisms suggested for POTS would have significant cerebral effects as well. I think some doctors suggest that hyper patients may have low serotonin as a result.

I think some people resist talking about this side of things more from fear of it being labelled a psychosomatic illness. Research has moved beyond that now so perhaps this issue will be raised more in the future.

I'd say I feel devastated and depressed for no reason and I can never pin point why. Before my autonomic problems, I used to be able to feel sad and know exactly why it was, but these days it just suddenly comes over me and I have no idea how to get over it or stop it happening. It's always worse when I'm standing up too! Lying down makes the world seem a better place!