Another Bad Medical Experience

Hey everyone!

Have been around lurking but not up to posting much for awhile now. Sorry about that, I will try harder but I had to type this to people I know would understand . Like many of you I get the horrible headaches and for me the only thing that will stop them going on for 5 or 6 days is an injection of demerol and phenergan. I used to be able to call my PCP and he would then let me come in for an injection. But he retired so I went about a year or more surviving through them. Then last year we found a new pain management doctor who said that again if we called we could come and get an injection. The PA told us that all we had to do was call and if she was not there ,one of the other PA's would let me come in. Was going along fine until Monday. I got a horrible headache Friday night (of course) and just kept telling myself hold on til Monday and you will get some relief. I call Monday and the nurse says that my PA is not there and the one who was there would not see me, to go to the ER. (useless here they give you benadryl) So i start to cry (could not help it) and she was just so cold, "It does not matter if it is not ok" she said that is what he said. So my husband takes the phone and tries to find out why we can't come if our PA said we could and the doctor has said we could. But she kept saying the PA won't authorize and he asked her to ask again and to ask the main doctor, she got testy, he got a little testy and in the end she said she would ask the main doc. Never heard from them but we knew my PA would be there on Tuesday, we called and made an appointment. When we got there they told the front desk not to collect a payment that they wanted to see us first. I am still in headache **** mind you. So this nurse comes out and I can feel the waves of dislike rolling off of her. She takes us in a room and says that this is not an official visit because the doctor has decided to take you off his roster of patients. SO I burst into tears..could not help it again. And I said why? She said because of a verbally abusive conversation with your husband. He said I am sorry that we both got mad yesterday and I apologize she I am not mad sir I was not mad (yea right!) I am sitting there hysterically crying and she is just siting there staring at me and trying to give me a letter that he no longer accepts me as a patient. Then she said he also says you questioned the way he runs his practice...well a bit but come on and she was just so spiteful and so mean. Jim said you do realize this is the only place she can get her pain meds and She looked at me and said YES I do. The doc did authorize one last injection which I took of course cause by then my head was going to explode. Then she says all triumphantly do you want the letter now or wait for it to come in the mail? I have never met a more spiteful person. And my husband never even raised his voice he did not say anything wrong or mean, I heard the whole thing. We did not get to see the doctor or our PA just her. It was soooo awful and SO out of spite or whatever she now has put me back into headache **** again. How can she do that? How can they do that? I had not had a bad medical experinece in a while and you forget. It was just awful. Now we have to find someone again and find someone who will listen to me that after 12 years and many meds I know what works the best and it is that. This was also the place that sent me to get a temporal artery biopsy (never get one of those!!!) I am hoping my PCP will figure something out but we will have to see. Man how could someone like that even want to be in the medical field?

Just had to share that with you all. Sorry for the rant....

Stacey,

I'm so sorry about the awful experience and the terrible way you were treated. That is just not right. It's too bad that doctors offices don't have all calls "monitored for quality assurance" like most companies do.

I hope that you will be able to find a better doctor who has much more curteous nurses, PAs, and office staff.

Hugs,

Rachel

I'm sorry you had to go through that! It's too bad that some of the "helpers" out there are not so helpful! Unfortunately, this happens more often than it should. Keep your head up, you'll find someone better!

Hollie

I am sorry! That is so awful, that they did all of that, and in that way... Wow, how insensitive. I wish it had gone better for you. Hopefully you will be able to find someone else nearby to help treat these headaches. If there are no other pain management drs. are there any neurologists that work with migraines etc. that would help? Or could your PCP write an order, or something to take to the ER, that shows what you need?

Hope you feel better soon!

I am sorry you had to experience that. It may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe the dr you find will be more caring & have a better nursing staff. I'm finding lately that in every office there is usually one nurse or office personnel that is a horror. I would write the dr a "private & confidential letter". He will probably never get it but you'll feel better. Good luck!

Thank you all sooo much for your support! I really really appreciate it. I am still reeling from it but am getting better, amazing how something so mean can effect you...isn't it? I think that is a great idea that we should write the doctor, he probably won't ever see it but at least we could defend ourselves and maybe someone else will not get treated this way. Thanks again.

Ditto to what Dawg said. This would seem to be patient abandonment--and without even talking to you directly. You might want to call your insurance company too b/c if they have a payment agreement with this doctor or practice, they may be able to intervene on your behalf.

Nina

I'm so sorry you had to deal with such unethical behaviour. I don't undertstand how some of these medical professionals get away with this????? I hope you can get some kind of resolution to this.

I had a very bad experience a couple years ago, and it was a nurse in a doctor's office that I would NEVER expect this from.

Sending a letter is a good idea--------- :)

Maxine :0)

Sadly it's not just with us. I think they treat everyone like this.

As you probably know, my dad is getting Chemo for pancreatic cancer. He was having difficulty breathing and called his pulmonologist. They said they can get him in to see the doctor in 2 weeks. Dad says, not acceptable. So they give him an appt for "today at 3:15 in Avon" (about 45 mins from our house). Dad gets in the car and I take a half-day at work to drive him to the Dr. We get there and there is no one in the office except one receptionist who tells us that the Doctors don't come in on Thursdays. Dad about flipped. The person who made the appt told him today but meant tomorrow. Okay, I can understand that this was a mistake, etc. Dad calls her on it and she rips him a new one, "I never make mistakes, you misheard, you're crazy, etc" And she hangs up on him and cancels the appt for Friday. We found that out this morning when my dad called up to make sure the appt was scheduled. There was a nice nurse who got him his appt back - but seriously, what the heck?

They shouldn't be allowed to get away with that! If I ever went off like that at work, I would be in employee counseling or be asked to leave the job. It's SO not appropriate.

Sara

I am so sorry you had to go thru that,wishing you the best in finding another doctor,Hugs Pat