Dark Days Of Lung Infection

I am on day 16 of a very bad illness. It moved from sore throat to bronchitis and now lung infection. I've been through 4 rounds of antibiotics, all overlapping. My doctor said that while most people would shed the bug in the bronchitis stage, a pots patient would not be able to shake it and it would make them very, very sick. He gave me the next rounds of antibx and stuff to knock me out for a week.

My question. Has anyone had this and how long did it take to get better? I have to go back to work Monday, or I'll lose 25% of my income. I've missed 2 weeks of work...

I feel really, really bad. Almost like day 1 of pots. I'm trying not to panic. Sometimes I start shaking and then the tears roll. I'm just so worried that I will feel this lousy forever.

Has anyone been through this? I'm having a hard time with thermoregulation and I don't know how many days of sweating shivering I can handle. I hope that someone has some insight for me.

Sounds like you are having a really rough time - I hope the latest lot of antibiotics kick this bug out of your system. Other than time to heal and lots of rest the only thing i can think of is have you had a chest x-ray? Sometimes an x-ray will show up unusual shadows that suggest a particular antibiotic is needed such as atypical pneumonia or TB (have a friend who has just been diagnosed with TB - he's feeling much better now he's on the right antibiotic). Hopefully you'll be feeling much better soon but don't try to drag yourself back to work too soon - it may delay your recovery.

Flop

Hi,

Wow, it sounds like you are going through a lot. An infection like that on top of POTS sounds awful. I don't have experience with that particular situation. I did a few years ago, have strep throat/sinus infection that wasn't very fun that when on for months and many (four+) antibiotics. It was so frustrating just waiting for one of them to work.

I don't really have any words of wisdom, except try and take care of yourself. Overdoing things will only make it worse. Can your dr. write a note or something explaining your situation to get more time off or something? It sounds like you shouldn't be trying to work until you get to feeling better.

I hope you get to feeling better soon! :P

I'm sending big hugs your way. Every time I'm sick, I'm convinced it'll last forever. It doesn't and yours won't either. Four rounds of antibiotics is alot, but I am hoping that #4 is a charm for you. Try to stop worrying and enjoy pampering yourself. It may speed your healing. Let us know how you progress

Julie

I had pneumonio and a PE the first month I had POTS, so although that differs somewhat from your diagnosis there are some similarities also. REST! That's really the most important thing. Your body has a hard time healing due to POTS weakening your immune system. Try taking vitamin D and C to boost your immune system. Also, cyanne peppers, fresh ones or in Tabasco sauce, can help clear out your lungs. They also have like 2,000 time more vitamin C than most fruits. Tell somebody to get you some fresh hot peppers (really of any kind, but especially the red ones) and take out the seeds. Just eat the fleshy part (with some carbs to absorb the acid). You can also gargle with water & tabasco sauce (like a glass with a few drops). I have IBS problems, but I find that without the seeds, I can tolerate hot peppers fresh (not dried). And it does help kick out infections, especially in the respiratory track.

Also, just the reassure you that it's normal and it will pass, any kind of illness brings out the POTS symptoms more, especially fatigue. But when the illness passes, the POTS flare-up is likely to subside.

It was really difficult to be so sick when I had the pneumonia, PE, and POTS all commorbid. But I just had to tell myself, "This will pass...just one more day, just one more minute, this minute is already gone, the next will also pass." Umm....yeah, and a lot of coughing, moaning, and strangling the nearest person to me :P

Hope you feel better soon!

Hi,

I agree to improve your immune system but also you should not go back to work on Monday as you will decrease your chances of getting better. It's preferable to take a cut back in salary for a few days and be at best to fight the bug.

I've had several times when I had long lasting infections--and was hospitalized a few times too. The worst one took being in the hospital on IV antibiotics and steroids to knock out the infection. I also developed costochondritis in my right ribs from all the coughing. As it turned out, I had a sinus infection too, which they feel was the place the pneumonia was being fed from, by draining into my chest. I now use a sinus rinsing system regularly. I also had sinus surgery in 2003. Since then, I've not had pneumonia again, but I did have a partial lung collapse.

Nina