Orthostatic Blood Testing At Mayo??

i was contacted by a nurse at mayo and told I need to have additional blood work.. one of them being an orthostatic ...something test (catylcholine or something like that). I will have to drink something and they will test my blood over a period of an hour....

does anyone know what test she is referring to and what it is exactly? thanks for any info! I am having this test along with other blood work requested by the dr.

-Nancy

hmmm... no responses?? has anyone else heard of this or is this the only place that does blood work for OI/ POTS?

i was contacted by a nurse at mayo and told I need to have additional blood work.. one of them being an orthostatic ...something test (catylcholine or something like that). I will have to drink something and they will test my blood over a period of an hour....

does anyone know what test she is referring to and what it is exactly? thanks for any info! I am having this test along with other blood work requested by the dr.

-Nancy

Hi!

I think a lot of people have just not likely had the time to respond yet. Parts of what you said sounds vaguely familiar to what others have said they have had with their testing. I personally have not had this test, or anything like it. But, I think overall it is to test your body's reaction to stress in different positions, laying, sitting, standing. They may give you something to drink or something to help with the overall results. I really am not familiar with this test. Maybe if you search Catacholamine test on the forum or google you may find something.

I hope the testing goes well!

hi nancy -

i'm not sure about the addition of having something to drink, but testing for catecholamines in different positions is something that can be done at any lab as long as they have the proper instructions and is something that a good number of people on the forum (including me) have had done. it's not exactly a "common" test amongst the general popualation but is fairly common within the world of dysautonomia. i would guess that this is the test you're referring to, and perhaps they are adding an additional step of seeing if added fluids affect results? i have had testing done several years ago (while a research patient at vanderbilt) where BP/ HR was tested before & after additional fluids so perhaps they're doing a combination of the two for you? the good thing about having it done at mayo is that there is less likelihood that they'll do it incorrectly which, unfortunately, is a common occurance at labs that aren't as used to doing it. other than the fact that you'll be asked to stay in a certain position (lying, sitting, standing) for a particular amount of time the test isn't any different than a normal blood draw.

hope this helps,

:blink: melissa

Hi,

I had blood taken during a tilt test for catecholamine levels. As far as I know you have to lie flat and rest before the first sample of blood is taken then you either sit or stand for a while before they draw further samples. Sometimes they put in a temporary IV line so they can take the blood from that as having a needle put in your arm can trigger a release of catecholamines.

I don't remember very well but I think I had my blood drawn tilted than sitting but not lying down - seemed an odd way to do it to me but I don't have any results to check exactly what they did, may just be my addled memory!

Catecholamines are the body's natural stress hormones like adrenaline and steroids. The test is to see if being upright causes a surge of stress hormones to be released into your body.

Good luck with the test, just a longer more boring version of a regular blood test really.

Flop