heart pounding when wake up

Radha

Wow.

A classic symptom for me...I have this every morning and every time I wake through the night ...I don't know what causes it yet I have an idea..I believe that it has something to do with my nervous system being so relaxed while I'm sleeping and then suddenly WHAM ..It has to function when it isn't quite ready and it feels like it's trying to over compensate for the change that has taken place..

What I do most of the time is keep a 20 oz. bottle of water by my bed and before I even get up in the am. I stay put and drink it down, then I slowly sit up and give my body time to adjust to the change in blood flow...

Some days are worse.... :) Hope you find something that helps...

This happens to me more regularly than any other symptom I have :) It was much better when I was taking a beta blocker, but now that I'm not I just try to stay hydrated dring the night by keeping water at my bedside to sip on...if I get too parched the heart rate goes crazy, and I do feel like someone shook me awake suddenly a lot.

For several months my heart use to be around 110-120 bpm when I wokeup. It would always slow back down once I became fully alert and started moving around. Drinking alot of water first thing also helps bring my heart rate back down.

Now, my heart is some type of different cycle where it will be tachy for several mornings in a row, then goes away for a few weeks before returning to haunt me again for another few days.

Hi,

I get this a lot and really hate it. However, I have two suggestions: 1) raise the head of your bed, either with blocks or with foam wedges. It really seems to make a difference because you wake up and don't have to stand up and also it changes posture to reclining whichs seems to feel better to many of us. 2) get a pillow or teddy bear to put against your chest. I know that one sounds odd, but it mutes the feeling and sound of the palpitations and then you do not worry about them as much. They are still there, just not as scary. The water suggestion is great- try drinking a full 8 oz before you even get up in the morning. I suggest trying to drink it 15 minutes before you stand up. Maybe keep gatorade by the side of the bed for the mornings if you need an extra push. I hate this feeling and get it everyday, often worse after naps, but I think that the things I suggested, plus trying to keep the room you sleep in cool, will help.