Diabetes Insipidus - Some Questions

jump

Hi all,

I read the other thread about DI but found I had more questions than advice to share, and I didn't want to hijack that thread with new questions, so I'm starting this one!

I've long had real problems with thirst and output, and when I did research on my own I thought my symptoms sounded like DI. I talked to my PCP about it, but she said it would show up in a normal urine test and that people with DI become "truly crazed" if they don't have access to water and do things like break into buildings and steal in order to hydrate. I don't get "crazed," I just get really really sick with thirst. Plus my standard urine test came back normal. But from reading other threads, it sounds like my PCP's assessment was maybe off -- both that DI is akin to a mental disorder and that a standard urine sample would show it. What tests *would* I need to know if I had this?

Since then, I was diagnosed with POTS and have been assuming that my input/output problems are just related to POTS and not DI at all, but I haven't been able to get any relief from the symptoms. I can't try DDVP (?) right now because I'm temporarily out of insurance and can't get an appointment with my doc for three months. Do any of you know of any non-pharmacutical things that might help with diabetes-insipidus-like symptoms *besides* this medication? Anything homeopathic or a lifestyle change I could try?

thanks,

jump

Hi all,

I read the other thread about DI but found I had more questions than advice to share, and I didn't want to hijack that thread with new questions, so I'm starting this one!

I've long had real problems with thirst and output, and when I did research on my own I thought my symptoms sounded like DI. I talked to my PCP about it, but she said it would show up in a normal urine test and that people with DI become "truly crazed" if they don't have access to water and do things like break into buildings and steal in order to hydrate. I don't get "crazed," I just get really really sick with thirst. Plus my standard urine test came back normal. But from reading other threads, it sounds like my PCP's assessment was maybe off -- both that DI is akin to a mental disorder and that a standard urine sample would show it. What tests *would* I need to know if I had this?

Since then, I was diagnosed with POTS and have been assuming that my input/output problems are just related to POTS and not DI at all, but I haven't been able to get any relief from the symptoms. I can't try DDVP (?) right now because I'm temporarily out of insurance and can't get an appointment with my doc for three months. Do any of you know of any non-pharmacutical things that might help with diabetes-insipidus-like symptoms *besides* this medication? Anything homeopathic or a lifestyle change I could try?

thanks,

jump

Hi jump,

Not sure I can help you, but if you go to diabetesinsipus.org you might get some proper information about DI, as I think your PCP was thinking of only one sort of DI there are other forms which involve the pitutitary gland or kidneys.

Anna