Medical Deduction For A/c

I go by this motto, if you don't try, you won't know. I would suggest getting a doctor's letter stating the medical necessity of airconditioning.

A couple of years ago, after our new home was built, we deducted for a swimming pool and a spa. The pool was for exercising due to POTs; the spa was for neck and back problems. I had letters from my POTS doctor and my spine/neck doctor.

The worst that can happen is that we will have to pay more taxes if we are audited.

Keep in mind that, with the medical deduction, the amount of itemized deductions has to exceed a portion of your income (not sure whether it is gross or adjusted).

Cheryl,

When figuring out your total expenses, do not forget to tally (talley?) up your transportation expenses getting to and from the doctor. Include lodging costs if you spent overnight to get treatment.

I would certainly try to get a letter from your doctor to document your income tax filing. It might be helpful to the doctor if you could provide him with suggested text to help him/her along.

At the end of the day, if you don't claim it, then you'll never know. If you do claim it and you get audited and the deduction gets tossed out, you'll have to pay the additional amount.

Lois