Organic Foods Vs. Processed/ Non Organic Stuff

dizzygirl

hey folks..

In recent months as my health has been taking a big nose dive my b/f and i have been trying to eat as healthy as possible.

one thing i have noticed is how my body reacts to foods... I've notice that i do not react nearly as badly to organic foods.. as i do to foods that are not organic. I do not get as violently ill.

Uhm...its a no brainer that non orgainc foods are grown with pestisides and hormones/antibiotics.. and so on .. not to mention canned pre packaged foods are full of chemicals and preservatives to keep the food fresh and from spoiling.

Well anyways getting to my point...to any of you organic food eaters out there.. do you notice a differnce in your symptoms based on the food you put in your body? ( organic vs. non organic?)

I ask b/c with dysautonomia we are chemical sensitive.. and it kinda makes sense that we would be reactive to foods that have crud in them as well.. kinda like we do to being exsposed to an actualy chemical or pesticide....

Like i mentioned earlier.. we try and eat as organically as we can possibly afford.. and i notice a difference in GI symptoms and how i felt after eating.. where as i could eat the same exact thing that is non organic and i get very very ill..and am sick for up to 2-3 days after wards.( by ill i mean horrible gut pain stomach pain unrelenting nausea..diarrhea..dizziness-headaches ect.)

I dont know this was something that i was thinking about.. and thought i'd throw it out there...and i'm curious to see if anybody else has noticed this as well?

In a word, yes. I try not to be obsessive about it, but I feel a lot better if I eat whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible (eg, a baked potato instead of crackers, home-made cupcakes instead of packaged, etc).

One thing I've recently done is to stop drinking gatorade and to drink organic coconut juice instead. Gatorade made me feel better than water, but it always gave me kind of a burning sensation in my throat, I guess because it has all that citric acid and other preservatives. Coconut juice has the exact chemical make-up as human plasma -- in fact, in world war II they used to use it in IV's when they didn't have access to blood banks. I find it's just as helpful to combating my symptoms as the gatorade was, with the added bonus of no chemically "burn" sensation. It's a little hard to find and it took a while to get used to the taste, but I was starting to worry about how much gatorade I was drinking, and if the chemicals would eventually catch up with me.

jump

I'm not obsessive about it, but I try to avoid highly processed, pre-packaged foods. These foods are often high in sugar and have a high glycemic index for one thing. I don?t notice any reactions to food otherwise in my case, but I know I feel best in general when eating a diet rich in variety that includes mostly ?whole? foods.

A lot of fruits and veggies in the chain grocery store, especially if out of season, are coming from out of the US. Besides the toll this takes on our planet to transport these items across hundreds of miles, the pesticides, herbicides, fungicides used in developing nations are too often chemicals banned for use in our own country. For those of us sensitive to chemicals, it may be best to avoid these out-of-season, imported foods, for our own health.

Eating ?local? is the new trend for a number of reasons. I try to support local farms as much as possible, organic or not.

Very interesting about coconut juice! My daughter craves it from time to time, and now I guess I understand why. I have read that if you were to eat only one food, that coconuts could sustain you for a long time. Hard to grow in the US though...:)

I totally agree. I also try to eat organic and avoid processed foods. I'm slowly also replacing all of my household cleaners, beauty products, etc. with all natural stuff. Using up the stuff I have and buying natural stuff to replace them. I feel like every day I'm reading/hearing more and more about the crazy the hormones, chemicals, etc. that are found in everyday items. I think it's been like this for years, but the awareness is just now increasing. Who knows what it's done to us already and what the effects will be down the road...

I've been a whole foods vegetarian for years and I do believe that what we put in our bodies makes a whole lot of difference.

I recently came across a web link for the DOZEN foods NOT TO EAT unless you buy them organic

http://green.msn.com/galleries/photos/phot...T003MSN51N1653A

Likewise it has a list of the TEN foods YOU DON'T have to buy organic

http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eatin...allery-44032808

Good to know since I'd been buying organic bananas and turns out I don't need to!

Good luck in your healing journey.

~EM

We really have been buying mostly organic in this home. Not just food, but home products as well. We shop for meat at an amish meat market, trader Joes for many things, and whole foods. I can't wait to hit the farmers markets soon, and i always try to buy local when available.

Honestly, if I eat non organic foods, or processed foods I feel it big time. Especially a bag of chips. They are the worst for me. I also can't get to full either or else I get to feeling really potsy. My husband feels no health advantage for eating organic from eating no organic, but I sure do.

High processed foods make me feel really bad, like Doritos for example. I can't believe how many ingredients they have in them. One ingredient I am extremely sensitive to is called monosodium glutamate(MSG) which what do you know is in Doritos. It is also in soups, dressings, packaged flavored noodles, gravies, chinese food. I could go on... I pretty much make everything homemade that way I know what's in it.

earth mother thank you for the links!!!!! its very helpfull!

i'm not obsessive about only eating organic.. but i am making changes and better choices...I personally figure conventional medicine isnt doing jack for me.. so i want to make changes in other area's and pay close attention to what i'm putting in my body..and i'm noticing adifference in my GI which has been one of my biggest issues since i was knee high to a grasshopper!