Now That It Is Warming Up

It's starting to warm up....unfortunately the Central Air in my building doesn't get turned on until June 1 so May is very trying and with POTs (didn't have it last year)...well, I am sure it will be worse. And my workplace isn't that cold either (of course I get the office building that's not freezing...my friends complain about theirs!).

Do any of you have tips for coping with heat?

I'm already upset I probably won't be able to clean much in May (and what a thing to worry about...but it's the little things that do get to you).

Any little tips to help myself and others get through the heat would be appreciated!

Hi,

Are you allowed to put your own AC in your own apartment?

Hello, Ernie,

The style of windows we have do not allow for a window unit. I have purchased a 'portable air unit' for the bedroom. It just arrived this week and my husband has to work on it. I hear they only work well in one room, with the door closed, so I am hoping I can use it at night.

I suppose if I get any complaints for this (I pay electricity) I can get a medical note from my doctor as she said I had to have air of some sort. I've never had to be overly concerned with air conditioning before...and now I do. It's hard adjusting to POTs.

Hi,

We have some kind of portable AC here that are on wheels and have a tube that you put in the window. You can wheel them to a different room like the living room in the day and the bedroom at night. Or you can buy a bigger one that cools down a greater area.

I think 5,000 BTU is good for about 400 square feet and 12,000 BTU is good for an apartment.

I have a big house and I use 3 - 5,000 BTU and 1 - 12,000 BTU. The small ones are for the bedrooms and the big one is for the main floor.

It is a good idea to have a note from a doctor saying that you need the AC for health issues.

Hi,

We have some kind of portable AC here that are on wheels and have a tube that you put in the window. You can wheel them to a different room like the living room in the day and the bedroom at night. Or you can buy a bigger one that cools down a greater area.

I think 5,000 BTU is good for about 400 square feet and 12,000 BTU is good for an apartment.

I have a big house and I use 3 - 5,000 BTU and 1 - 12,000 BTU. The small ones are for the bedrooms and the big one is for the main floor.

It is a good idea to have a note from a doctor saying that you need the AC for health issues.

Oh that's good to know! I'm hoping mine works well, then.

But yes, I think I will get that note on my next visit...she really thinks it is not a luxury but mandatory for my condition. She was rather insistent about keeping cool this summer.

Cold fluids and popsicles help with the cooling down some. I also tend to walk around in very little clothing when I am in my dorm room alone. Just a couple of little tips that I can think of. Oh, I have this spray bottle with a fan powered by batteries that I use, not sure where it came from, but it's nice to spritz myself and fan myself a bit when I get too hot. I hope your ac thing works for you!

Meg