Ritalin

ajw4790

Hi all!

Just wondering if anyone has used Ritalin? Anyone successful? I know it can be used for POTS symptoms etc., but my main reason is ADHD. Concerta did not work out well for me, so I am hoping this will work better!

Also, a mini-side note... I started taking Magnesium for migraines and I have seen an improvement. I am glad to find some help, although I still get plenty migraines and auras, I definitly see a difference. More then with other things I have tried.

Thanks for any Ritalin insight! :lol:

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't know anything about ritalin, but it's great news about magnesium. What form do you take (oxide, citrate, glycinate, etc.?) and how much?

I'm currently taking one that is a mix of forms, and am not sure I'm getting much benefit-- but don't want to stop! In case it is helping, I don't want to have a flare!!I'd heard glycinate was the best absorbed, but don't remember where from.

Yes I have been taking Ritalin for years now. I cannot function w/o it. It is really helpfut for the brain fog and the motivation. There are still few days when I am present but unaccounted for., few though. I take 20mg-sr. M

None of the typical ADHD meds worked out for me, I think because of my sensitivity to meds due to POTS. However, I take omega-3 and folic acid supplements which help a lot. They also help with POTS-y brain fog, so it's a two in one. The omega-3 is just over the counter, the folic acid is a prescription. Just a thought if ritalin turns out not the way you hope. but good luck with it!

Meg

Don't know much about Ritalin, but it was suggested to me as was Sudafed (Pseudoephidrine, aka, the real stuff). Sudafed is a god-send for the POTS. If you're a little leary about Ritalin, try Sudafed first. Has a similar stimulant effect but not to the same extent and is over the counter. Only side-effect I've found is a dry nose.

Best of luck to you.

Sara

I tried Ritalin for cognitive issues (e.g. brain fog) and lack of energy. Even on just 5mg a day I noticed an improvement in my ability to function. After playing with the dose in an attempt to find "the best fit," we decided that 20mg was the most my body could handle; 30mg made me tremble so much (albeit imperceptibly to others) that I couldn't speak and also made me feel a bit anxious. Any of the doses made my heart feel a tad fluttery, so we switched over to Adderall to see if it would work better.

20mg per day of Adderall has been fabulous in my case! It has been super helpful in combatting brain issues (more than doubles my efficiency and information retention), helps get me started earlier in the morning, and allows me to spend a greater proportion of the day studying/working than when I don't take it. What's more, I experience essentially no negative side effects (see below) and don't even feel like I'm "on something." I still have to rest during the day, but the breaks tend to be fewer and shorter than before.

If you have trouble with fatigue, I would caution you not to go activity-crazy on either of these medications. They both can give people a false sense of abundant energy. I've found it helpful to skip taking it a day or two per week and gauge how much I can accomplish without the medication, just to be sure that I'm not increasing my activity level too much or too quickly during the rest of the week. I've found over time that my ability to function when off of Adderall has gradually improved, even though it's not nearly as good as when I do take it.

Hope this is helpful!

Angela

Hi all!

I just wanted to say all your posts helped me feel better about trying it and giving it a chance. I have been taking it just over a week- 5 mg Ritalin. I don't have any negative side effects per say, but I still have the crash or rebound effect on it, and it really isn't very long after taking it, like a couple of hours. I figure I will have to increase the dose and likely sustained release or a later dose. Adderall has also been suggested, but they wanted to try this first.

As far as the magnesium it is just magnesium oxide. But I have seen some improvement while on it and the rest of my current regimen.

Meg what form of omega-3's do you take? I have that in my line up of things to try in the near future.

Thanks!!! :blink:

Sorry it's taken me so long to answer...I take Spring Valley enteric coated omega 3 fish oil softgels, just from the drugstore or walmart. (the coated makes it so that you don't get a fishy taste) They're supposed to be good for a ton of other things too, but I do find that if I miss a day my concentration is off.

Meg