Heart Rate Dropping??

Hi Everyone-

Wondering if something like this has happened to anyone here before, and also looking for input on whether I should find myself a cardiologist or mention this to an endocrinologist or not.

Recently I started Physical Therapy to help me recover from the nerve damage I sustained in my last car accident. They put me on a reclining bike and told me to pedal for 10 minutes. There was a heart rate monitor attached to the bike, so I was paying attention to my heart rate while I was biking. Normally I run quite tachy (100ish), and that was what it was initially when I started biking. As I biked my heart rate went up and then precipitously dropped to 58! It's not that low when I'm sleeping! Slowly as I kept biking the heart rate crept up to 100, then 150 and stayed there. This is a 100bpm jump in just over 3 minutes. This has happened therapy sessions in a row. Has anyone had this happen before? Should I mention this to someone?

Thanks.

Sara

Having your heart rate increase whilst exercising is a normal response, particularly if your body is not used to exercise at the moment. Heart rate drops wouldn't be expected whilst exercising - how does the bike measure your heart rate? (a simple explanation could be a mis-reading by the machine). If your heart rate drops again next time try to count your pulse at your neck to see if it is really slow or if it is still going more than 100.

If it is a true drop in heart rate during exercise then a trip to a cardiologist would be the thing to do, and as Ernie said an EP cardiologist would be the sort most used to theses sorts of issues.

Take care,

Flop

Hi,

I agree with the others. definitly something to watch and mention. If it happens at PT mention it to them, and see if that machine is normally accurate. Also, have them and yourself take your pulse and see how it compares with exercise. HR should not decrease, especially to that extent ever- it would be indicitive that you reached your max for exercise, and a definate reason to stop exercise. Do not continue exercise if this occurs without consulting a medical professional. If they have access to BP machine you may want to check BP as well.

This should definitly be mentioned to your dr. and looked into further. You may need to see about getting an exercise stress test to see what your physiological response to exercise is.

Also, to keep in mind it may very well be faulty equipment or you may develop a weak pulse it is unable to detect during that time period.

These machines are not known for their accuracy for these measurements.

I hope that you are able to find some answers and get it looked at further.