24 Hour Eeg... Anyone Else Done This?

I had a regular EEG done a few months ago by a neurologist in Wichita. It came back abnormal and he told me, at the time, not to drive until I could have a 24 hour one done. Well things came up, and I had to have that surgery, which happened to be at the same time the test was scheduled (It always takes MONTHS for any speciallist to get anything done, or so it seems). Well I had to cancel my appointment bc I stayed in the hospital longer than expected, and the neurologist FIRED me from his practice, saying I cancelled with too short of notice... Wonderful! So I had to start over with another Neurologist, who, by the way, is definately NOT as agressive in doing tests as the other one was.

Anyway, I got hooked up to the 24 hour EEG today. I go back tomorrow to have it disconnected. Anyone else with POTS been through this? We're trying to rule out seizures but they also said it can pick up sleep disturbances, which I do have trouble with off an on......

Yep, had one. Other then it being a pain in the butt, there was really no problem with it. (I went shopping with it on- I have long hair so it covered the electrodes- and they thought I was a secret shopper, videotaping things.) I did have a little trouble sleeping with it because I toss and turn in my sleep and got caught up in the wires. All in all, I think, this should be an easy test for you. Good luck.

Sara

Yep, had one. Other then it being a pain in the butt, there was really no problem with it. (I went shopping with it on- I have long hair so it covered the electrodes- and they thought I was a secret shopper, videotaping things.) I did have a little trouble sleeping with it because I toss and turn in my sleep and got caught up in the wires. All in all, I think, this should be an easy test for you. Good luck.

Sara

Thanks.. yeah it is a MAJOR pain in the butt... my daughter keeps wanting to pull the electodes off! Just trying to get stuff ruled out so this will be the next thing to check off our list... I can't believe you went shopping! you're brave! I can't handle the humiliation! haha

In 1995, after a "weird" situation while driving in a car (looking back it was very similar to some of the "woozy" episodes I have now), I had a 24 hour eeg. I had much more hair then, but I did look a bit weird. The funny thing is, I had a 24 hour halter monitor on at the same time... so I was wired from head to waist with all sorts of electrodes!! ;)

The hassle I had was getting the "goop" off of my head and out of my hair after the electrodes were removed.

The eeg came back "negative"... but since the neurologist couldn't explain the event in any other way, he labeled me with "epilepsy" and put me on a couple mind numbing, personality stealing drugs and told me not to drive for 6 months. Well, after 3 years I had had enough of those medication and was tired of walking around like a zombie, so I went to another neuro doc and was placed in the hospital for a 5-day eeg. I went in the hospital on Monday, was taken cold turkey off my meds, and the test showed no seizures. The only thing the doc commented on every morning was my sleep pattern... which he said I didn't have any detectable rem sleep the whole time I was there. Granted, I wasn't allowed to sleep from Tuesday morning at 6am until midnight Wednesday. He just thought it was "odd" but said I didn't have epilepsy. I left the hospital and didn't sleep for about 2 months and another doctor placed me on trazodone for sleep and I have been on it ever since.

Hang in there... 24 hours will be up before you know it!!

In 1995, after a "weird" situation while driving in a car (looking back it was very similar to some of the "woozy" episodes I have now), I had a 24 hour eeg. I had much more hair then, but I did look a bit weird. The funny thing is, I had a 24 hour halter monitor on at the same time... so I was wired from head to waist with all sorts of electrodes!! :P

The hassle I had was getting the "goop" off of my head and out of my hair after the electrodes were removed.

The eeg came back "negative"... but since the neurologist couldn't explain the event in any other way, he labeled me with "epilepsy" and put me on a couple mind numbing, personality stealing drugs and told me not to drive for 6 months. Well, after 3 years I had had enough of those medication and was tired of walking around like a zombie, so I went to another neuro doc and was placed in the hospital for a 5-day eeg. I went in the hospital on Monday, was taken cold turkey off my meds, and the test showed no seizures. The only thing the doc commented on every morning was my sleep pattern... which he said I didn't have any detectable rem sleep the whole time I was there. Granted, I wasn't allowed to sleep from Tuesday morning at 6am until midnight Wednesday. He just thought it was "odd" but said I didn't have epilepsy. I left the hospital and didn't sleep for about 2 months and another doctor placed me on trazodone for sleep and I have been on it ever since.

Hang in there... 24 hours will be up before you know it!!

All i can say is WOW!!!! Geeze, sometimes I can't believe what they put us through! Although, I also feel like we have to BEG and SCREAM just to get them to run any test.. oh well. yeah i'm not looking forward to getting these things taken off. Hope they don't pull out any hair with it!! lol Hang in there... hope you're feeling better.

I had one 2005, but it was inpatient. The worst part was the neurologist (sorry, but true) but I spent 3-4 days with the guiness book of dandruff stuff coming off my head, no matter how much I washed it. Be prepared sweetie...morgan

Really? wow I was wondering about this stuff coming out of my hair. that's going to stink! oh well... it's not like I go anywhere! thanks for the warning :P

Yes, Mine was 3 days. I have had seizures from lack of 02, so naturally Epilepsy was looked for.

I have pics...it was quite a fashion statement!

Wow, pcis huh? No way! I wouldn't be caught dead with a pic of myself looking like this!! lol I'm so tired bc I was only allowed to sleep 5 hours last night. 2 More hours to go before I get rid of this stupid thing!

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, yes, those lovely EEGs. :D I've done several regular, two 24-hr, one 48-hr, and one 5-day EEG trying to catch epileptic episodes (my brain was too crafty, unfortunately).

Don't worry too much about the goop they use for the electrodes; the stuff they use nowadays is still goopy, but so easy to wash out compared to the old stuff.

Most of my EEGs were done back in the early to mid 1990's and the goop was more like superglue -- after the tech's ministrations, it took my mom 2-3 hours of scrubbing it with acetone (nail polish remover) and more than a week of hair washing (more than once a day, no less!) to get that stuff completely out. And it left my scalp a little sore in places where it had taken a layer of skin with it! :P

I had one done in 2006 and couldn't believe how blessedly simple the goop-removal was; most of it came out at the hospital and the rest when I washed at home. The technician said she'd never seen someone so excited! :)

Hope you find some answers!

Angela