weight gain with neurontin

Jaime

I know in the past that there have been some boards on Neurontin, but I have a few questions that I am hoping someone will be able to answer. The first question is has anyone had a lot of weight gain with Neurontin? My mom gained 9 lbs. in one week after her dose got doubled. I looked on the web, but didn't find this listed as a side effect. The second question is that I was just started on this med to prevent migraines, but I am wondering if this will help my joint pain. Has anyone had experience with this? Also, has anyone noticed if the Neurontin causes more tachycardia because that was listed as a side effect. And the final question is that the med makes me exhausted, will my body adjust to this? I have only been on it for 3 days and right now I am taking 300 mg at night. If anyone has experience with this med I would appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thanks,

Jaime

Hi Jaime

Meds seem to affect everyone so differently. Alot of people are having a lot of success with Lexaprol. I gained 40 pounds before the doctor took me off. Just keep on eye on yourself and keep your doctor informed about your changes.

Best wishes

Sue

I took Neurontin for over 6 months because of all the headaches and nerve pain I was experiencing. I took 400mg four times a day at one point. It does make you tired but I was already exhausted with the POTS and the headaches were debilitating. It has received a bad rap lately because it was only approved by the FDA as an anti-seizure medication but has been prescribed widely for other conditions mainly because there isn't anything else effective out there to treat those other conditions. I believe 300 mg is the usual adult starting dose. I eventually got hold of 100 mg capsules to help me taper off the medication and took them as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was taking 400 mg of neurontin 3x a day and I definately noticed a weight gain. I didn't attribute to the neurontin until I went off of it and started losing weight without really changing my diet. It was also causing my vision to blur worse than it already does from the POTS. But it did help with the pain.

I take 1200 3x a day. It makes my tachy much better and my dizziness has improved. I am still in a huge amount of pain, but it has definitely improved (I have myofascial pain disorder and some osteoarthritis that might be rheumatoid, not decided yet). My migraines were causing weakness and paralysis on my left side. I was on crutches all the time. Not so since the Neurontin (except during one ankle bone bruise thing). I was having daily severe migraines with aura and I was suffering. Now, I still get migraines in groups every few weeks and at least one bad one once a week, but not daily and frequently less severe. I think neurontin has helped me exercise more and get to a more normal life (not quite but closer to 'normal').

I am having a lot of trouble losing weight. I exercise and eat healthy most of the time. I can't digest fats, wheat, or milk, so this should be easy. I am not gaining, but I am not losing either. I used to struggle to keep my weight up and then a different anti-seizure med-Depakote- made me put on weight very rapidly with little eating. I went up almost 30 lbs in a 3 months. I am now 5-10 lbs above my 'ideal' weight, but my weight just will not budge. It goes up a little and down a little based on fluid retention- that's it! Still, it is definitely worth it for Neurontin.