How Do I Get Started Applying For Disability Benefits?

I know there are several of you out there who are in the process/already have disability benefits.. I have been debating wether or not I have the energy to even start the process, but I figure it's worth a shot and would help us out a little. My husband is a police officer, and makes an okay living, but we definately live paycheck to paycheck after I had to quit working a year ago. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get started. Just the idea of fighting to validate my diagnosis is exhausting, but I think I should at least try!! thanks.

It's a long process, but if you truly can't work then it is a good idea to apply. You can go to www.socialsecurity.gov for information. There is a link on the left hand side of the page. You can apply online, but from what I understand it is usually best to request that an application be mailed to you. If you apply online there is a word limit, which can make it difficult to fully explain your health issues and how that limits your ability to work.

Also, Yahoo has a group called Disinissues (short for disability insurance issues). It is an email group and offers a wealth of information for the whole disability process.

Good luck!

Rachel

Just wanted to second what Rachel suggested, that Disinissues web site.

A MOST VALUABLE TOOL and I HIGHLY recommend them!!! MUST READING!!

And of course, morgan's advice, you gotta have a doctor in your corner.

The more details you send in DOCUMENTING your daily functions and limitations the better.

Though some may argue, it matters not one WHIT the "name" of your illness but HOW your illness makes you DISABLED.

Best of luck! I did it 18 years ago with lots of paperwork on my own the first time!!

:P