Has Anyone Ever Tried Licorice Root To Boost Up B/p?

sarct

My husbands cousin gave me this today and said to try it. It helps raise blood pressure. She works at a homeopathic store. I am hesitant to try something w/o a doctors advice, but I am actually thinking about looking into homeopathic remedies as I am not very keen on taking medications. I never react well to them.

I was just wondering if this is something anyone has ever heard of. It smells like cough medicine. She said it tastes bad, but if it helps I guess it would be worth it. My resting B/P is always around 80/63

without knowing your specific situation it may be a reasonable thing to consider.

here's some info on it (from DINET's "what helps" section): http://www.dinet.org/what_helps.htm. you'll have to scroll down a bit to find it, but may also be interested in some of the other listings. there are some members who have tried it, some who have found it has helped.

BUT - that said - it would still be a good idea to talk with your doctor before trying it, particularly if you're on any other meds. just b/c something isn't a prescription or is more "natural" doesn't mean that it's benign. it can still cause problems, side effects, have interactions with other meds, etc.

hope this helps,

:) melissa

Do a search on "licorice" - there are a bunch of posts about this. There are different kinds of root (how they have been processed) and it's important to know which you are getting.

I agree with the suggestions of the others. It can cause important changes on some electrolytes. I would better talk with the doctor about it.

It can be a good idea to try, but with your doctor?s approval and checking-ups.

Take care,

Tessa